Skip to main content

Chest is CLOSED!

We got one more thing crossed off of Lia's 'To Do' list today!  She got her chest closed this afternoon! Yay Lia! Tonight they will start weening her off her ventilator too!  That will be the next thing to cross off her list.  She is also completely off her versed and phentnyl (pain meds), which means there are 2 less machines in her room. Her 'entourage' of machines is getting smaller and smaller!  Now that she is more alert, she is awake a lot more!  She was bright eyed for a lot of the afternoon!  Her nurse hung some toys for her to look at and played her some music.  Once she gets into a crib, they will hang a mobile for her to stare at.  I am also happy to announce that she is no longer using her pace maker!  It's still hooked up to her, but only programmed to give her a beat if her heart rate gets below 100.  That little heart of hers is beating all on its own! So proud of her!  Shes making more and more improvements every day.

I had lunch with a friend today, which was very nice, AND I get to see Jack tomorrow!  My in laws handed him off to my parents tonight, and their bringing him down here in the morning to see us.  They are going to spend the day here and then head back to DesMoines in the evening.  I'm very excited to get to spend some time with him.  Ryan and I have some fun things planned to do.

Lots of good news coming from Kansas City today.  I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

 
After her chest closure! (And of course after her anesthesia had worn off...) The bright colored turtle is from Grandma Diane and Grandpa Maury.  The nurses use the brown bear on her head to shield her eyes from the bright lights. The bear with the pastel stripes holds the ventilator tube up off of her.  You can see her chest tube draining extra fluids from around her heart, and the orange wires next to that are her pacemaker wires.

Nurse Debbie cleaning Lia's gums!  Oral care is important!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ashley I read ur post everyday. So glad to hear Lia is on the road to recovery. Just wanted to let u know that im praying for Lia. Love the pics u put up today. Stay strong! Love Lacy
Ella's Mom said…
YEAH!!!! I had to be away from the computer for several days. (Fender Bender, ok more like re-positioned my radiator. :( I am so glad to hear things are going so well. This is the part that always amazes me. Sugar bear is so SWEET! Robert needed his not to shield his eyes but to cover his steri strips till we could get clothes on the little guy. He just Dug at that incision!!! She looks great! Can't wait to actually meet her, one day soon!
YAY! So glad to see more good news! Keep up the good work Lia! YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!
Pam the Realtor said…
This kid is amazing! We can even tell from the pics how much swelling has gone down. So glad you will have Jack to hug for a bit too. That will certainly help the stress levels.
Deb Wagler said…
Ashley today was such wonderful news, so glad to see things go well. I am praying for your little Lia everyday. Thanks so much for your daily updates, I know you must be exhausted! Hugs
Maria said…
1. Lia is precious!!
2. You are amazing parents
3. Praise God for a good report
Joe said…
Ryan & Ashley & Jack & Lia,
You're on my prayer list. Glad to hear Lia's surgeries have gone well and that you are all getting through this difficult season. She's a cutie and clearly a tough little girl. Like her mother I'm sure... :-)

God bless!
Joe Williams
Carlos O'Kelly's
Ashley said…
Yay!!! So excited to read this! I know everyone at work will be absolutely thrilled! Still praying for you all, of course. God bless you all :)
Ashley R

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine. Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the ...

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...