{Insert long exhale} I am so glad that today is over with! I am happy to report that Lia's surgery went very well. Her surgeon, Dr. Lofland, said that he was very pleased with the outcome of her repair. He also informed us that he discovered why her heart was not accepting the shunts. During utero, Lia's blood was flowing into her lungs, and not flowing back out, which in turn caused some muscle damage to the vessels stemming off her pulmonary artery (there is more to this explanation, but I didn't fully understand it myself). In "mommy terms" she has a very unique anatomy to her heart, and this was her way of saying that she didn't want a shunt (no matter how many times we tried) she wanted her full repair, so that's what she got! I am also happy to report that she is not on bypass at this time! Her heart rate, blood pressure, and oxygen saturations are all good. In fact, in the hours since her surgery her o2 stats have been at a perfect 100%! Keep in mind, that a week ago, our goal was to keep her o2 stats above 55%, so this is a huge change!
When I woke up this morning, I felt a calm about myself. A peacefulness. I was no longer nauseous or scared. I felt God's loving arms around me telling me to stop carrying this huge burden on my own shoulders and to let Him do it. For some reason, I knew everything with her surgery was going to be ok. I knew that Lia was in God's hands, and that He was going to take good care of my little girl. This peace stayed with me throughout the entire day. Of course, I had tears as I kissed her head this morning and said goodbye to her (for the 3rd time), and watched her be wheeled away into the operating room, but it was a different feeling than before. I felt confident in her outcome, confident in the doctors and nurses taking care of her, and confident that God had everything under control. I walked into the waiting room without sobbing this time. I was a different person. I was ready to take on the day, and give it all to God. Like I have said before, I believe in the power of prayer, and the amount of prayer that we have recieved has been remarkable. We are on tons of church prayer lists, including one in Greece even! (Thank you Sarah), we have friends and family all over the U.S. praying for us too. Thank you to all of you who have said prayers for Lia, for our family, and for the medical staff taking care of her.
We are not out of the dark yet...these next few days of recovery will be very crucial, as Lia's heart learns how to beat differently than what it has been used to for the last 9 months, and as her body begins to regulate itself, balance itself out, and get her back on track to being a healthy newborn. Please continue to pray for us. We have been told to expect about 10 more days in ICU (if all goes well), and then we will be transferred to the floor, until she proves she is ready to go home. So needless to say, our time here is not over yet, but today is day 1 of a new Lia. A new lease on life, and I am so eternally grateful for that.
In other news, we handed Jack off, yet again, to my in laws this time. He will be spending the week in Fairbank. He's excited, but I of course, am sad to see him go. I CANNOT wait until we are all together again, living normal lives (if thats possible?) and putting all of this behind us. Thank you to Maury and Diane for helping us out by for spending almost a week here with us, helping us to take our mind off things, and taking good care of our sweet boy while we take care of things here.
My parents are still here in KC, supporting us, and Lia. We are so thankful to all of our family who traveled to be here with us today, and to all of those who coudn't be here, but still supported us in prayer.
I am tired, and ready for bed. Good night, and thank you for checking in, and remembering us. Please continue to pray for Lia's recovery, and for strength for Ryan and I.
Ashley
When I woke up this morning, I felt a calm about myself. A peacefulness. I was no longer nauseous or scared. I felt God's loving arms around me telling me to stop carrying this huge burden on my own shoulders and to let Him do it. For some reason, I knew everything with her surgery was going to be ok. I knew that Lia was in God's hands, and that He was going to take good care of my little girl. This peace stayed with me throughout the entire day. Of course, I had tears as I kissed her head this morning and said goodbye to her (for the 3rd time), and watched her be wheeled away into the operating room, but it was a different feeling than before. I felt confident in her outcome, confident in the doctors and nurses taking care of her, and confident that God had everything under control. I walked into the waiting room without sobbing this time. I was a different person. I was ready to take on the day, and give it all to God. Like I have said before, I believe in the power of prayer, and the amount of prayer that we have recieved has been remarkable. We are on tons of church prayer lists, including one in Greece even! (Thank you Sarah), we have friends and family all over the U.S. praying for us too. Thank you to all of you who have said prayers for Lia, for our family, and for the medical staff taking care of her.
We are not out of the dark yet...these next few days of recovery will be very crucial, as Lia's heart learns how to beat differently than what it has been used to for the last 9 months, and as her body begins to regulate itself, balance itself out, and get her back on track to being a healthy newborn. Please continue to pray for us. We have been told to expect about 10 more days in ICU (if all goes well), and then we will be transferred to the floor, until she proves she is ready to go home. So needless to say, our time here is not over yet, but today is day 1 of a new Lia. A new lease on life, and I am so eternally grateful for that.
In other news, we handed Jack off, yet again, to my in laws this time. He will be spending the week in Fairbank. He's excited, but I of course, am sad to see him go. I CANNOT wait until we are all together again, living normal lives (if thats possible?) and putting all of this behind us. Thank you to Maury and Diane for helping us out by for spending almost a week here with us, helping us to take our mind off things, and taking good care of our sweet boy while we take care of things here.
My parents are still here in KC, supporting us, and Lia. We are so thankful to all of our family who traveled to be here with us today, and to all of those who coudn't be here, but still supported us in prayer.
I am tired, and ready for bed. Good night, and thank you for checking in, and remembering us. Please continue to pray for Lia's recovery, and for strength for Ryan and I.
Ashley
Comments
Wayne and I are so happy to hear that Lia's surgery is over! She does sound like a little fighter and what a cutie! I have sent your blog to good friends who moved from Pella to Wichita 2 years ago. They are great prayer warriors as well, so will add another link to your prayer circle. Wayne and Jackie Whitham/Pella
I am Debbie Brooks. My mother-in-law was Violettes sister. I know it's confusing but just wanted you to know you are in our thoughts and prayers here in Nebraska. I talked to Jan last night and she filled me in on the latest.Keep your positive out look and faith and all will go well.