Skip to main content

1 Month Old

Did you miss me last night?  I was way too tired to blog, so I decided to skip a night. Now to get you caught up...Good news: After 22 days (including time in Wichita)  WE'RE OUT OF ICU!!  We got moved to the floor last night around 11.  It was a bit of a rough first night...between breathing treatments, feedings, and managing Lia's pain, we didn't get much sleep! On the floor, Ryan and I are both able to sleep in Lia's room.  There is a couch-like thing for one of us and the other sleeps in the recliner.  We switch back and forth several times throughout the night, depending on whos helping with the feeding or rocking her, etc.  We went and checked out of the RMD House this morning, and got all moved into Lia's room!  I'm excited to get to sleep by her side again, but it was back to reality being up almost all night with her!

One month ago today, Lia was born!  What a month it has been!  I never in my wildest dreams would've imagined having to go through everything we've been through, but I praise God everyday that she's still here with us on this earth, and growing healthier everyday! 

Diaphragm Update:  Dr. OBrien (cardiologist) informed us that her diaphragms are in fact moving paridoxically (opposite each other).  However, the movement is very tiny, and since Lia seems to be tolerating it well, and is breathing ok, we will not need surgery at this time.  The nerve that connects to her diaphragm is damaged due to her chest being opened so many times, but can heal itself over time (which we are hoping for) or it may remain paralyzed, which would need to be monitored, and then a decision on surgery would be made to fix it.  We heard today that it could take up to 3 months to heal, so we won't know anything on that for a while.

Here on the floor, they are making things as close to what it will be like at home for us.  When Ryan and I are awake and in the room, they turn off Lia's monitors, because we will not have a monitor to stare at when we're home.  I've learned how to count her breaths, and evaluate if shes breathing too fast.  I have also learned how to administer all her formula and medications through her feeding tube.  Since she is still not taking the bottle well, and doesn't like the taste of the Enfaport, we will most likely take her home with her feeding tube in.  We have also had to re-learn how to hold her due to her fragile sternum and incision.  She will not be able to be picked up from under her arms for a long time.  We have to do the "scoop" method. Her immune system will also be very weak for a while.  So, everyone will need to wash hands before holding her, and obviously, if you have a cold or are sick, you'll have to stay away! 

They haven't really given us a time frame as to how long we'll be on the floor.  Lia is the one who is calling the shots here.  We have to wait for the drainage from her chest tube to decrease some more, and wean her off her breathing treatments (which are up to 8 hours apart now.  We started at 4), and she has to prove for a few more days that she is still able to tolerate the paralyzed diaphragm.  So, we're still taking it a day at a time, hoping and praying for more good news each day.

Thank you again for all the continued prayer and for checking in on us!
My amazing family!  One month ago today our little miracle was born!

Comments

Anonymous said…
It sounds like things are moving in the right direction. We think of you and pray for you everyday. glad that you are able to hold your little girl again and hoping you can take her home soon!! Jen Robertson
Anonymous said…
God is amazing and so is your family! The strength, love and courage that you have is amazing...and is what you need to help Baby Lia! Our family continues to prayer for all of you! Congratulation on so many success this past week!
Baby Ella's Family
Deb Wagler said…
Great News! You guys have been through a lot, everyone has done a wonderful job, coordinating all that had to be done. You have all handled this with such love and grace! Thanks for your updates,and yes we did miss you last nite!
Continued thoughts, hugs, and prayers to you all!
Ila said…
So happy to hear Lia is going in the right direction. We will continue to pray. God is so good!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine. Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the ...

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...