I know a lot of you saw my post on Facebook today, but in case you didn't, Lia had to have another surgery today.Yes, my 16 day old baby has now had two open heart surgeries! When Ryan and I got to the hospital this morning, Lia's nurse informed us that she had to have quite a few fluids throughout the night to keep her blood pressure up, and her oxygen stats weren't any different than they were pre-surgery. After her oxygen level dropped to 55% again, they called the cardiologist into the room, who did another echo on her heart and discovered that there was no blood flow through her shunt, so it was back to the OR again! Luckily, the procedure was not as long this time, because they had kept her chest open, and she already had all the lines and IV's she needed for surgery. My mom and dad and Jack waited with us again through her 2nd surgery. When the doctor came to talk to us afterwords, he informed us that there was a small blood clot in the shunt and also it was kinked a bit, which was the reason for no blood flow. He also said that he believes we will have to do her full repair sooner than he originally thought. He wanted to try and wait until she was 1, but now it looks like we'll be doing it when shes 5 or 6 months old.
Today when I saw her after her second surgery, I did much better than yesterday. I knew what I was getting myself into this time, and I knew exactly how she was going to look. When it comes time for her 3rd surgery, I should be a pro. They kept her chest open again tonight in case of swelling, but hope to close it up tomorrow.
I am having a much better night tonight. I actually feel calm. It probably helped that I slept in a bed last night and got more than 3 consecutive hours of sleep. I'm looking forward to that again tonight! The next time you go through the McDonalds drive through, don't forget to drop some change into the Ronald McDonald container, because this place has been a huge blessing for us.
Who knows what God has in store for tomorrow...He sure is keeping us on our toes up here. I will continue to keep you updated through here. Hopefully now we are on the road to recovery! I will leave you tonight with a poem that a friend shared with me, and it really meant a lot to me. Also, I will leave you with a few pictures.
Today when I saw her after her second surgery, I did much better than yesterday. I knew what I was getting myself into this time, and I knew exactly how she was going to look. When it comes time for her 3rd surgery, I should be a pro. They kept her chest open again tonight in case of swelling, but hope to close it up tomorrow.
I am having a much better night tonight. I actually feel calm. It probably helped that I slept in a bed last night and got more than 3 consecutive hours of sleep. I'm looking forward to that again tonight! The next time you go through the McDonalds drive through, don't forget to drop some change into the Ronald McDonald container, because this place has been a huge blessing for us.
Who knows what God has in store for tomorrow...He sure is keeping us on our toes up here. I will continue to keep you updated through here. Hopefully now we are on the road to recovery! I will leave you tonight with a poem that a friend shared with me, and it really meant a lot to me. Also, I will leave you with a few pictures.
Chosen
I had a dream the other night
It came to me so clear
I stood before the throne of God
... Afraid to come near
God said to me “I hear your prayers”
There are answers you can’t find
I’ve asked you here to talk to me
And help to ease your mind
I said, “Well, yes God, I am upset
About my special one
This punishment is awfully harsh
What have we ever done?”
God looked at me and shook his head
and said you’ve got it wrong
I sent this special child to you
because you are so strong!
I searched and searched to find someone
With love so rare and true
A parent so unselfish
That could give this special care
I try and save my special gifts
Like those you’re speaking of
For special kinds of parents
I call the “Chosen Ones”
Of all the ones to choose from
Think this I have done
A parent who deserves the best
An honor you have won.
-Author Unknown
| Lia and her entourage. All the machines on the left are pumping her meds into her. The machine on the right is her ventilator. |
| Daddy and Lia post-op surgery #2. She will be paralytic like this for a while. I kissed her hair tonight, and it still smells just as good as it did before surgery! |
| Jack and Grandpa swimming in the hotel pool. He was leary. |
Well, we said goodbye to Jack tonight as he and my parents headed back to DSM. Tomorrow, Ryan's parents will be coming down for a few days to be with us, and will pick Jack up on their way home and take him to their house for the next week.
Keep the prayers coming. We are overwhelmed with all the support we've seen from our friends and family. It means more to us than you will ever know.
Love you all,
Ashley
Comments