Skip to main content

Surgery Tomorrow!

We received word late this afternoon that Lia's open heart surgery will be tomorrow morning (4/10) at 7:30am.  As soon as they told me, I was so relieved, and ready for the night to pass so we could get on with it.  Now, I'm feeling very sad, nervous, and scared.  I know she needs this so she can be a healthy girl, but I'm really scared.  They came in to our room tonight to mentally prepare us for what things will be like as soon as we see Lia after surgery.  It made me nauseous.  She will be lifeless for about 3 days.  Completely sedated.  No holding her.  No feeding her.  No hearing her cry.  No seeing her beautiful blue eyes.  She will be on a ventilator.  Lots of tubes coming out of her.  Lots of machines around her.  Her surgeon has over 30 years experience with pediatric cardiology and has operated on babies younger than her.  I know she will be in the greatest of care.  I just hate everything else that goes along with it.  I doubt I'll get any sleep tonight.  I'm going to hold her and love on her as much as I can. 

Please pray not only for Lia tonight, but pray for the doctors, anesthesiologists, and nurses that will be helping with her surgery.  I pray that they are sleeping soundly, and wake refreshed ready to go in the morning.  I pray that they will have wisdom and steady hands and will have a successful outcome with my baby girl.

Both sets of my grandparents were here with us today, along with my mom and dad, and Jack too.  They are staying in a hotel tonight and will be with Ryan and I all day tomorrow for comfort and support.  I am so thankful that they are here.  Ryan and I have both teard up several times tonight just thinking about what the morning is going to bring.  We decided that since this will not be Lia's only open heart surgery, this will be good preparation for us, for when we have to do this again in 4-6 months for her full repair, which will be much more serious.

Well, the more I type, the less I'm not holding my baby, so thats all for tonight.  Enjoy the pictures from today.  Think of us as you head off to work tomorrow...

-Ashley


Lia and her Great Grandpa B.

This must've been a good hour.  We're both smiling.  No tears.

Grandpa Jeff giving a pre-surgery pep talk.

Lia and her Great Grandpa Rosien.  Isn't this precious?  See all those chords hanging off her?  I deal with that every day!

Lia and her Great Grandma R. (or as I call her, Nanny)

Sweet Lia!  The last time you'll see her chest with no scar.

Comments

Erica Russell said…
I will be saving the best thoughts I'm capable of thinking just for you guys. I just know that she will come through with flying colors. Anyone who has that much love coming toward her is sure to be strengthen by it,and healed by the hand of God.
Jennifer Gonterman said…
My Father your word tells us to cast our cares upon you for you care for us. we come to the throne of grace at this time for little Lia. We pray Dear God that You would touch her in a mighty way. Heal her and make her strong. We pray that you will be the family's strength and comfort through this trying time. Bless this family abundntly we pray. This we pray in Jesus nme. Amen
Negretes said…
God already knows how the day will go tomorrow and His angels will be tending to Lia through it all. You must be weary, so rest in His loving arms and TRUST. We will be praying on all of your behalfs, but especially Lia, throughout the surgery and recovery. I've asked for all my praying family and friends to be doing the same. Do your best not to fear. I know, easier said than done, so I pray for that peace that passes all understanding be yours.
Philippians 4:6-7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Love & blessings, Tammy & Rob
Kristen said…
Big thoughts and prayers coming your direction. I will tell you a couple of things.....1) Its NOT easy but you will be amazed at the strength you find in the face of helplessness. 2) Heart kiddos are FIGHTERS! Our little Charlotte had 4 heart surgeries and each time she amazed me more with her ability to "bounce back".

Stay strong mama and remember that Miss Lia is in good hands.

Kristen Ritchie
http://littlemissritchie.blogspot.com
Mary Ward said…
I know that you may not know who I am but Rachel Berdo forwarded this to me as she is aware that my son, David had to undergo several heart procedures as an infant and throughout his childhood. There is no way around the fact that today is going to be a very difficult day. Watching them take your child into surgery is probably one of the most
heart wrenching moments a parent can live through. Please know that God is watching over your dear Lia. Hold tight to that knowledge and take today moment by moment. Lean on your family and friends and find strength in their prayers and support. The next few days are going to feel very scary. The world of PICU is strange, isolating and exhausting as you are now aware. I had a friend who told me a very simple saying that helped me get through each day, "This too shall pass". And it will. Each day your beautiful baby girl will get stronger and the medical world will become less scary. It will just be part of your life. I had two young daughters at the time that David was born and want you to know that as much as you are missing your son, he will be OK. My children developed some incredible strengths because of what we experienced as a family.
Please know that your family will be in my prayers and prayers can bring miracles! I have a wonderful, healthy 21 year old son that is a blessing to me each day. If you ever need to talk to someone, please know that I would be happy to share, listen, answer concerns and be a support in whatever way that another mother that has been there can be. Please know that "This too shall pass" and "The best is yet to come". Mary Ward (Mother of Kayla, Megan and David)
Nicole Ubben said…
Ashley,
I tear up just thinking about all you have gone through and are continuing to go through. I am praying for you and know that God is holding your precious little baby in HIS hands. Take comfort in that. She is an ADORABLE little baby girl!!
Pam the Realtor said…
This is going to be such a tough day for you. Just hang on to each other and your faith and you will get thru this. Lia is so tiny and special but thankfully she will never remember any of this. Keep us posted as you can and just know you have a whole army out there praying for your family

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine. Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the ...

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...