Skip to main content

Lia Update

Today was a bad day.  I woke up in a bad mood and it just got worse.  Maybe it's the hospital grade recliner I've been sleeping on the past two nights and am about to again tonight? Maybe its the fact that in order to hold my daughter, I have to untangle her from about 14 different chords, and then always manage to mess something up and the machine goes off?  Or the fact that I have to stare at Lia's blue face, blue hands, blue feet and watch her little chest struggle to get air? Could be the fact that I feel like I have to keep up on as much info about Lia as the nurses do, just to make sure that with every shift change the new nurse we get knows absolutely everything there is to know about Lia and her condition, the dose amounts for each medicine, the correct flow of oxygen, or her oxygen saturation levels, and what they cannot go below.I haven't seen my son for more than a half hour over the last three days. (I know hes in good hands, but it's still hard), I sit in an 8x8 section of the hospital sectioned off by curtains, and listen to other babies just as sick as mine cry and suffer.  THIS SUCKS.

Man, it felt good to get that out.

I could go on for about 12 more paragraphs, but I'll spare you.

I hate to be so negative, because I do have a lot to be positive about.   The huge amount of support that we have received from family and friends has been amazing.  Friends coming to sit with me at the hospital to let me cry and vent, my in laws who are here to watch Jack, friends dropping off meals, constant texts and calls from people wanting updates on Lia, the fact that her condition is curable, and once she is done with her surgery(s) (yes, it might be more than one) she will be a healthy little girl with pink skin, who has no problems breathing.  And the most important thing, is the faith that I have in God, and that He is all-knowing, makes no mistakes, and will carry all these burdens for me.  If nothing ever went wrong in our lives, there would be no reason to have faith. 

Lia didn't do so great today off her oxygen.  They tried the mask on her a couple times to help her catch back up on her breathing, but it took too long for her to recover, so they made the decision to put her back on oxygen for the rest of the night. We are going to take her off again tomorrow morning and see how she does with breathing on her own with a higher dose of meds.  Her cardiologist warned us today to be prepared for a trip to Kansas City tomorrow if things go like they did today.  In Kansas City, they would either choose to monitor her a few more days there, or proceed with surgery.

Chances are, if you are reading this blog, you are already praying for us, but just in case you aren't, please keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we go through this.  This is the hardest thing Ryan and I have ever been through.  In the meantime, I'll be sitting here, stroking my baby's hair, staring at her monitors, thinking of Jack, wondering if we'll move out of the ICU tomorrow, of if I'll be taking a helicopter ride to Kansas City.

On a much much lighter note, isn't this an adorable picture of Lia?  My mom took it :)

Comments

Jen O said…
Ashley,
This post made me cry...I so wish we could just fast forward to the end of this journey so that you and your family would be spared! Your strength and ability to look on the bright side is amazing! Lia and Jack are so lucky to have such a loving and devoted Mom! Hang in there and just think about how much you will learn in the end. Just don't even think about changing professions to a nurse;) We love you and believe in you! Please let us know if you need us! I have good listening ears and have great shoulders to cry on. Thanks for keeping us up to date! You have been on my mind all day and I have been watching for an update all evening. Good things are in the future so hang in there!
Maria said…
We are praying, praying, praying!!!
Pam the Realtor said…
This just stinks to read all you are going thru. Wish I had some great words of wisdom to share, but I don't. Just hang in there and know there are a lot of people across the country praying hard for your family.
Sarah said…
I am praying for you all, Ashley!!! Please let me know if we can do anything. I know God is watching over you all and his grace can and will get you through anything. Thinking good thoughts and asking for God to wrap his loving arms around you, your family and sweet Lia! Much love, Sarah Thompson

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine. Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the ...

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...