Skip to main content

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine.

Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the room for a whole hour today!  She responded to voices, and tracked things with her eyes even.  She was moving her hands and feet too!  It was so good to see her beautiful blue eyes.  Even though she cannot make any noise (due to ventilator going between her vocal chords) I could tell that she was trying to make noise.  I can't wait to hear the sound of her voice again.  Even if shes screaming.

We have our support system in place down here.  All of my immediate family is here, plus my brother in law, and soon to be sister in law.  My in laws are also here. I know there are literally hundreds of people praying for us and for Lia, and for her surgeons.  I do believe that there is power in prayer, so please remember us tonight as you go to sleep and again in the morning, throughout the day, and over the next several weeks as we embark on a long recovery.

I will try and update as I can tomorrow, but cannot guarantee anything.  I have no idea how the day will play out. 

I feel that after two failed shunt surgeries, Lia is telling us that she just needs her full repair and then she will be ready to move on, to grow, and live a long healthy life. 

Please pray for our girl.  We are so scared.

Ashley & Ryan

Comments

Janet said…
Ashley everyone here is thinking of you and what struggles your family is facing. I know Lia has already found her way into your heart and she will use the strength she finds there to heal. We are all holding our babies closer, saying an extra "I love you" and living each day counting our blessings. Stay strong, Love Janet
Tammy Negrete said…
Amen to the power of praying people, Ashley...however, I think it's more like thousands standing in the gap for Lia and you & Ryan! Be strong, dear Mommy! Our love to all of your family. Peace be with you.
Philippians 4:7
And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Lisa W said…
We've never met but I attend church with your parents, Ashley. I am praying for you and for Lia as you go through this trial.
The LORD bless you, and keep you; The LORD make His face shine on you, And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance on you, And give you peace. Numbers 6:24-26
In His love,
Lisa W
Jen O said…
With all the lots and prayers that are heading your way, Lia will come out and recover in record time! You are first and foremost in so many minds, including mine and we will feel your sadness, exhaustion, and love that you have for your dear Lia! Stay strong and know that she will be in your arms soon. We love you and hope that you can feel our warmth and love in the hardest of times tomorrow! Good luck and will be waiting to hear how good everything goes!
Pam the Realtor said…
Going to bed tonight praying for Lia and will keep her in my dreams all night long. Will wake up thinking of all of you as you sit and wait thru surgery.
Ashley I have been following Lia's story. I wanted you to know that I am thinking of sweet little Lia today. She is such a gorgeous baby! I hope all goes well and am praying for the surgeons and your family. You have been so incredibly strong throughout this process. It is so admirable and brave that you are sharing your story. Praying for you and sending all my positive energy today! Molly Yates (Thomas)
Anonymous said…
Ashley & Ryan,
We continue to pray for you and Lia. I am glad all of your family is able to be with you today. Thinking of you,
Jen, Dan and girls (Robertson)
Krystal said…
Ashley, You don't know me and I don't know you as I have just read about your story through a friend on facebook. Lia is so lucky to have a wonderful family there for her and I pray her surgery goes exceptionally well today. We are praying for you here in Madison, KS today and for the weeks to come. May you feel God's nearness in all of this.

Krystal Knobloch
Lori Carroll said…
Praying without ceasing for all of you guys and your precious little girl! God is in control!
Expat Mom said…
I just heard about your sweet little one through a friend in my due date club. Praying for Lia. My oldest son had 3 surgeries (though not nearly as serious as heart surgery, they were intestinal) in his first year and it is scary every single time. Big hugs to you as you wait for your baby to recover.
cugina lori said…
Hi Ashley!

Ash shared your blog with me, and told me Lia came through the surgery - so happy for all of you! Will continue to follow and will be praying for all of you! Tell your family hello and take care! Lori Knight
Amy Christensen said…
Praying all day for little Lia and your family!!!!!I put her on our prayer chain at church!!!! We hope you can feel the love!!!!!!
Janine Rosien said…
Thinking & praying for you all ... So glad your family is there - you have such love and support. Will continue to keep Lia in my prayers. Grandma shared some pictures - she is such a sweetheart!!

Janine

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...