Skip to main content

Skinny Minnie

Today was our first Mommy/Daughter day!  Ryan went back to Wichita today to take care of some things, so it was just me and Lia (ok, well there were A LOT of other people there, but we're not counting them...)  When I got there, she was wide awake again, and the swelling in her face had gone down a lot!  She is really starting to resemble herself again!  Her chest and sides are still very swollen, but we're hoping that will go down some more overnight.  During rounds, they informed me that they would be closing her chest today!  I was very excited to hear that.  However, as I sit here typing this, her chest is still open :(  She had to use her pacemaker all day today, because her sweet little heart, isn't quite ready to do all the work on it's own yet, so her doctor made the decision to give her one more night with an open chest, and re-evaluate things in the morning.

What did our Mommy/Daughter day consist of, you might ask?  Well, I sat and did a lot of staring.  Lia did a lot of sleeping.  There was also some skin caressing, hair stroking, me whispering to her how proud of her I am, tear wiping, sending a few pictures to daddy, and well, that's about it!  May not be much, but it was enough for me!

Overall, it was a very good day.  The doctors are still impressed with my little fighter, and keep telling me that she is far exceeding how they thought she would recover having a tet-repair at such a young age and on such a small body.  (Side Note: Her heart is the size of a mans thumb).  I'm not saying everything has been smooth sailing, but when you look at the big picture, she is doing remarkably well, and I'm so proud of her! Lia marches to the beat of her own drum, and clearly does things when and how SHE wants them to be done!  Will this be a problem when shes 13?  Yes, probably, but right now I'm just focusing on one day at a time :)

Here is a picture from today...you can tell by looking at her eyes how much the swelling has gone down.

I love spending time with my Mommy!

Comments

Jenni said…
She is so precious! God is so good! I worked at the school a few months ago. Never really met you, just passed you in the halls. I was a para in Pre-K. Anyway, I wanted to tell you that your strength and faith through all of this have been so inspiring to me. I know you already know this, but so many people have been praying and are continuing to pray for little Lia. My aunt told me to give you guys a hug, so the only way that will happen is.....here goes...<<<>>>. Praying for continued upward progress and full recovery for Lia and for you all to get to go home soon. God bless you.
Janet said…
I'm glad you got to spend some one on one time. And to let you guys have some bonding time, much needed bonding time. I love this precious little picture of her, she's looking right at you with those wide eyes of hers. She knows how much you love her and that you are there with her. Thanks for taking the time to post, I know how much it means to your support system so we can understand how to help you. Love Janet
Tanya said…
Soo beautiful!!! Be sure to keep fighting and getting better Lia.....you're a strong girl...you' ve got this one!! Be sure to smile at mommy with those gorgeous eyes of yours every day! ;)
Ila said…
Lia & your entire family are in our thoughts and prayers. Jan has been keeping us posted and you are on the Prairie Flower Church prayer chain. Our love & prayers.
Craig & Ila

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine. Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the ...

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...