Skip to main content

No Fluids Today!

Not a whole lot new to report on Lia today.  She was bright eyed when we got into her room this morning.  She was alert and looking all over the place!  She was like that several times today, and it was great to see.  She is still very swollen from all the fluids shes needed to help keep her blood pressure stable, but the good news is that she hasn't needed any fluid since 11 pm last  night!  Because of that, they started giving her some lasix (sp?) to help her pee off some of the extra fluid shes got hanging around.  Once she gets rid of enough fluid, and gets some of the swelling down, they will close her chest.  Lets hope she keeps up the good stats so that can happen. 

Other than that, everything is same old around here.  I had sort of a "down" day today...just had the blues.  Ryan and I sat outside on a bench today for a while, so that was nice.  The breeze and the sun made me feel a bit better.  And although Lia has had a good day, I just look around her room at all the machines, and noises and of course her, and I can't help but be sad sometimes.  Then I start to think about other things, like Jack, and how screwed up our lives are right now, and it makes my mood even worse.  Ryan is helping me to stay strong and is very good at helping me snap out of bad days like this.  I'm hoping that tomorrow is better.

Speaking of tomorrow...Ryan is headed down to Wichita first thing in the morning to take care of some things that we can't do over the phone or via mail.  So it will just be me and Lia tomorrow.  I'm a little nervous to not have him here, but I will put my big girl pants on and be just fine :)  I plan to just stay close to Lia for the day, and since I won't have a car here, it will force me to get outside and walk when I need to go home, so that's good too.

Well, we're just finishing up some laundry, and headed back to the hospital to say goodnight to Lia.  I will leave you with a few pics of Jack, taken at my in laws, and one of Lia with her eyes open today.

Thanks for the continued prayers!
Ashley

Jack is helping Grandma and Grandpa with some of their gardening!

Let's hope his green thumb is better than his mother's!

"Hi Mommy! I knew you wanted to see my eyes, so I decided to open them for you today.   I may look tired and medicated, but do you know how hard it is to open my eyes when their this swollen?  I'm a fighter!"

Comments

John & Michelle said…
Praying for you all in Athens, AL! Please tell us anything we could send to make this time easier while your away from home?! also if you added you RMH address on your sidbar so we can send some encouragement your way!
Maria said…
Lia is precious!!! Still praying for you all.
Pam the Realtor said…
Lia doesn't look as swollen in that picture! Good things must be happening. Sorry you will be alone, but I am sure Ryan will be back soon and you will have each other to support again.
Unknown said…
a friend sent me your blog to help me prepare for the next couple weeks (I know you don't know me). But i'm going through a very similar thing right now (my daughter was diagnosed at a late stage - 4 1/2 months because she developed some collaterals). I read your entire April blogs, and some of the exact same emotions, stories (Italy), feelings (why us / why me) I've been dealing with. Even the picture that said there have been no tears this hour (I have good hours and bad hours as well) I am praying for you guys tonight and praying for that adorable little Lia. Modern medicine is amazing, and I hope she continues to be a little fighter!!
Mrs. S. said…
You are all in my prayers! I have a second grade student who was born with Tetralogy of Fallot. She is a love and her brother, 11 months younger, is also in my class. As a teacher, I'm thankful he's there to help me keep a check on her. I pray that your sweet little Lia does as well as my Hendrix and is running, jumping, playing, and amazing you with God's goodness soon! My teamie's name is Leah and we will definitely be praying for your little Lia and your family!

✿.。.☆♪♫*❤*Melly*❤*☆.。.✿

stapelrsstrategies@gmail.com

Stapler’s Strategies for Sizzlin' Second Graders!
Anonymous said…
Hi Ashley and family. You don't know me or my family but I am the mom of a baby who has had open heart surgery. Our baby Ella had open heart surgery unexpectedly at 3 months. I have been following your blog and I just wanted to let you know that our family is praying for your beautiful Baby Lia and your family. Our prayers include giving you and your husband the strength you need. The journey is hard and most days it seems impossible but as I stare at our Baby Ella each day I find the the strength to face the next day. As I read your blog each day I find myself in tears each time, because I can relate to each emotion you are having....I thank you for sharing...it has helped me find more comfort than I can even express. Take each day as it comes,find your strength you need from the miracles that god gives you and squeeze your children! Continued prayers from Baby Ella and her family.

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine. Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the ...

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...