Skip to main content

Out of ICU! (For Now...)

Well, I left off last night from the comfort of a real bed, with Jack sleeping right next to me.  It was sooo nice to get some quality sleep and spend some time with Jack away from the hospital.  I slept like a baby.  It was heavenly.  Thank you so much to my mom for being willing to stay with Lia at the hospital.

The cardiologist team who looked at Lia today said that she was strong enough to leave the ICU (on oxygen of course), so that is great!  Not strong enough to leave the hospital though, so we are on a cardiology floor just for babies.  It's so nice to be out of the ICU, because there are no limitations on who can visit, we can actually use our cell phones, and we BOTH get to sleep in the room with her tonight.  There is a bed and a recliner in here, plus a private bathroom with a shower.  We are on a waiting list to get a room at the Ronald McDonald house, but I'm thinking that as long as we can both sleep next to her, we might as well stay here!  The plan is to monitor her here through the remainder of the weekend, through Monday.  Then on Tuesday, the cardiology team will meet again, go over all her stats, heart echoes, EKG's, blood work, etc., and pick a date and time for her surgery.  We are looking at Wed., Thurs., or Fri., of next week for that.  They did say that the surgery scheduling for next week is already very busy, so if there is a case that comes in more serious than Lia's, then she would get bumped, so we'll just have to wait and see.  They have already decided that she is too fragile to do a full repair at this time, so the first surgery will be to place a shunt in her heart.  For recovery, we are looking at up to a week back in the ICU, and then she'll be moved to the floor again for up to a week before we can come home.  So we are looking at being up here about 3 more weeks.  Then, in 4-6 months, we come back and do the whole thing over again for her full repair surgery.

Unfortunately, I had to say goodbye to Jack again today.  He's staying with my parents in Norwalk this week. My grandparents (Jack's great grandparents) are going to be watching him during the day while my parents are at work. Next weeks stay for Jack is still in the air, but we've had so many people offer to watch him, and we are so thankful for that. I know I've said this before, but I just hate being away from him.  I know he doesn't think twice about it, because he's having a blast with grandma and grandpa, but its so hard for me to be away from him.  My parents will be coming back down to KC for the surgery, so we may get to see him then.  He's at an Easter egg hunt tonight in the dark where he gets to use a flash light to find all the eggs.  Sounds fun!

We had a ton of family support here today.  A total of 14 family members from both sides of our families made the trip down from Iowa to be here with us.  It was so nice and comforting.  Isn't family wonderful? Ryan and I are blessed to have such amazing family and friends to help us through this.  More family will be coming on Monday too.

Keep the prayers coming!  I'll keep you updated as much as I can from here!  I hope everyone has a happy Easter.  Remember to hug your kiddos extra tight and be thankful for their health.

Here I am!  Out of the ICU!

Meeting her cousin Zach for the first time!
Aunt Jill, and a very smiley cousin Megan

Aunt Sarah

Uncle Brent

Uncle Jameson-This was still in ICU

Grandma and Grandpa with Lia in her new bed.

Aunt Morgan

Jack at Easter Egg Hunt with Cousin Eli

Lookin' for eggs in the dark!

Jack with his Great Grandpa Jim and Great Grandma Jan-His babysitters for the week

Comments

Maria said…
Family is wonderful! What a fantastic support system for you. So happy Lia is out of ICU! Praying for you all.

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine. Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the ...

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...