Skip to main content

Drained

I cannot even begin to describe to you what today was like.  I'll do my best though.  Ryan and I spent most of the night next to Lia, but then decided around 1 am to try and get some sleep so we could be ready for her big day.  We set our alarms for 5:30am so we could be back in her room for some more time with her and to be sure we didn't miss a visit from the surgeon who was coming to talk to us around 7 am.  After a visit with the anesthesiologist, and the surgeon who explained to us in detail what he was going to do, the surgical nurses came to take our sweet girl to surgery.  They let me carry her as far as the operating room doors, where we said our goodbyes, gave lots of kisses, and of course, sobbed.  I had Ryan by my side, along with my mom and dad.  I was so thankful that they were there.  We waited for updates from the nurses in the Ronald McDonald waiting room at the hospital (thanks for the tip, Polly).  They checked in with us about every hour to let us know how things were going.  The whole procedure took about 2 1/2 hours and then the surgeon came to talk to us.  After opening up her chest, and looking at her heart, instead of a BT shunt, which we thought she was getting, he decided to do a central shunt, connecting her aorta directly to her pulmonary artery.  The reason for doing this, was so that she could get as much oxygenated blood flow to her lungs as possible.

Once we knew she was back in the PICU, we moved to the waiting room there, and waited and waited and waited for a call from her nurse saying that it was ok for us to come back.  Yesterday, I told you how they had come to mentally prepare us for what we were about to see when we saw her, but it was still a total shock. Her poor lifeless body, swollen, tubes everywhere, a ventilator doing all her breathing for her. 11 different machines pumping different medicines into her body.  No parent should EVER have to see their child that way.  I had to keep telling myself that this was necessary in order for her to heal and for us to move on with our lives.  The surgeon decided to leave her chest open, (yes, thats right, no staples, no stitches, completely open) in case there was any swelling with her heart.  I guess this is common, but still, just a small patch between me and her heart was very scary.  You could see it beating under the patch that covered it.  They will most likely close her chest up tomorrow, maybe Wed. depending on her stats and how well she is recovering.

After we knew everything was ok, we went and checked into our room at the RMD House!  Yay!  We took a long nap, and then had a nice dinner out with Jack and my parents.  After dinner we went back to the hospital to say goodnight to Lia, and I thought, "oh, I'll be fine, I've already seen her once in this state..." I was wrong.  The second time was even harder than the first.  I sobbed.  Thank goodness Ryan was there, because I might've collapsed had he not been there for me.  I hate this.  I hate everything about all of this. I want to come home.  I want this to all be over!!  Knowing that the shunt is helping her get more oxygen is a relief, but also knowing that all it did was buy us a few more months time before we have to do an even more invasive surgery makes me sick to my stomach that I will have to go through all of this again!

After my melt down at the hospital, I had to say good bye to Jack.  Again.  So then I sobbed even more in the parking garage.  I'm so mentally and physically exhausted that I can't even think straight.  I am hoping to get at least 2 good nights sleep here in the RMD House, and then maybe start sleeping with Lia again.  We'll just have to see how things go.

I just took a hot shower, and as soon as I finish this up, it's lights out for us.  Again, I can't thank all of you enough for all your encouragement, and prayer during this time for us.  I posted on Facebook today that I would never be able to respond to everyone who has emailed, called, texted, sent cards, etc., but please know that I am reading ALL the comments, emails, texts, and each one helps me get through the day.

I'm attaching a picture of Lia, post-op.  The picture hardly does any justice for what she really looks like in person.  I can't wait until our little girl is awake again, looking around the room wide-eyed, wanting to be held, wanting to be fed, and I never thought I would say this, but heck, I'm even excited to get to change a diaper again. 

-Ashley

My sweet Lia, on the road to recovery! This is how she will be for the next several days.  You can see the patch covering her opened chest.  I hate looking at this picture, but know that someday I will appreciate the memories.  I love her so much.

Comments

Rocio Bozarth said…
The memories are rushing back to me! I have a pic just like that one! Lia looks beautiful and just knowing that she came out of surgery ok is a big relief. I'm still praying and will continue to do so til she goes home with you!!! Lots of love....Rucy
Maria said…
Praise the Lord for a good surgery!!! But, what an exhausting journey you are on. We are lifting you up in prayer.
Jennifer Gonterman said…
Oh Ashley I cant imagine what you are going through. I will continue to pray for Lia, and strength for you and your family. In the lords name I pray!
erin burton said…
She is beautiful... A little warrior. Many prayers to Lia! Stay strong for that sweet girl!
Amanda Scheu said…
We are all thinking of you and Ryan at school! You are in our thoughts and prayers here at home! God Bless you all!! You have such strength!
Amanda
Savannah Calixto said…
Ashley i just read your story i cried threw the whole story i'm praying for you and your family i wish you didn't have to go through what you are stay strong for her she is beautiful!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine. Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the ...

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...