Skip to main content

Staples Are Out!

Today my sweet girl is 5 weeks old!  Tomorrow is May 1st.  Where did April go? Wow...March 26th seems so long ago.  I can't wait to get out of here!

Lia got the staples removed from her incision today!  She was a rockstar!  MUCH better than when Mommy got hers out (c-section)!  Now there are steri-strips covering her incision.  She also drank 4 MLs of my skimmed breast milk orally today!  No, that is not a lot, but I'm remaining confident that she will take a little more with each feeding.  The doctors also decided to try the rest of my skimmed milk in her feeding tube, and so far she has reacted well.  We are now going to rotate feedings with enfaport and skim breast milk.

I don't have much to report on surgery wise.  Her chest x-ray came back "fluffy" again this morning, meaning that there is still fluid on her lungs.  She is at a very high risk of pneumonia :(  They have decided to switch her lasiks to IV and are also adding metolazone along with the lasiks to get all the liquid off her lungs that they can in order to bring her respiratory rate down.  This is the last thing that they can do medically before surgery.  So, if this works, we'll avoid surgery for now.  If it doesn't work, looks like we are going to have the surgery to tack her diaphragm down.  I should know more answers tomorrow.

Milestone:  Lia is smiling!  And boy, is it the cutest smile ever!  I know it's real smiling, because she does it while shes wide awake and when someone is talking to her.  LOVE! (Side Note:  I have yet to catch a smiling picture...but trust me, I'm working on it!)

Thats all for tonight!  Thanks for checking in!

I love my Daddy!  Lia is thinking "yep, I already got you wrapped around my finger!"

Getting my staples out was exhausting!  Like my new steri-strips?

Comments

Ella's Mom said…
Bad typing. let's try that again. I sound proofread better. :)

Baby steps towards the door!!! I meant to tell you get a notebook and write the meds down as they (or you) give them. Then you know what has been given and if something is missed. Both in not or in doubling something up. Computer issues do happen but I liked to be on top of things. Mark and I found it helpful when we came home too. I usually gave all meds,(still do) but if something happened then he knew exactly what had been given and when. We actually still do this, but use post it notes on the fridge now. :)

Can wait till you get some and we can actually meet!
Heather said…
I LOVE the picture of Ryan and Lia! She will definitely have him wrapped around her tiny finger. Ava will always have Erick wrapped around her finger! Lia is absolutely adorable! I want to hold her again!
Janet said…
Ashley I LOVE the new photos, the one with the heart leads (even Madonna would approve) little headlights! She is so sweet and the one of her and Daddy is so precious! Always good to hear your news some good some bad but so is life. How are you? Are you still on Maternity leave? Not quite how you planned to bond with little Lia during that time I'm sure. Stay strong and give her extra kisses and hugs for me. Janet

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine. Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the ...

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...