Skip to main content

Home Sweet Home

Well, after 34 days in the hospital, WE ARE HOME!  Well, sort of home...we've decided to come to Des Moines and stay with my parents for a while to help us get back on our feet.  We're not sure how long we'll be here, but right now, the extra support is really helpful.

We were discharged Monday around 1 pm!  For those of you following our story, that is a day early!  We decided not to tell anyone, and just show up at my parents!  SURPRISE!  We went straight to my dad's office to surprise him around the same time my mom was due to pick him up!  We had a happy family reunion, tears and all, right there in the lobby of the Norwalk City Hall!  We are so so so so happy to be taking our little girl home, knowing that her heart is healthy and she can go on living her life like a 6 week old should!  We have been sOaKiNg up our time with Jack too!  He had all sort of hugs and kisses and 'I love you's' to give!  Over the next week or two I hope to find a normal routine for the 4 of us.  At one point last night, I heard Lia crying, and was on my way to pick her up when I heard Jack start crying in the other room, and I stood there for a second listening to both of them thinking, ok, so this is whats its going to be like!  Being a mom of two, splitting my time between both of them.  I know I'm by far not the first mom to do it, but it will be more of an adjustment than I had planned on!  Oh, and those lovely 2 hour naps that Jack takes?  Lia was up the whole time.  When Jack woke up, then Lia fell asleep!  Those of you reading this who have two (or more) kids are probably thinking, ha!  Yep!  Welcome to being a mom of more than one!

I cannot even tell you with words how good it feels to be out of the hospital and back in real beds, with our family, getting our lives back on track.  Thank you thank you thank you for all of your support and encouragement over the last 6 weeks.  From my closest friends and family, to those of you who I have never met, you will never know how much your kind words and prayers touched me, lifted me up, and helped me get through the darkest time in my life.

I've never been more happy to say that the blogs will be slowing down now, as I will be taking care of, and playing with my sweet babies.  Both of them!  I will try and do updates once a week.  Please check back in on us so you can see Lia's progress as she grows, and updates from all her appointments.

Love to you all, Ashley

By the elvators!  Headed home!

Loading up the car!

Surprise!! (yeah, Grandpa shed some tears!)

Reunited and it feels sooo good!! I took this one myself :)

Jack loves his sister!

Aunt Morgan and Uncle Brent came to visit once they heard we were home!
PS:  Aunt Morgan is having a baby next week!!

Great Grandpa Jim

Great Grandma Jan

Best big brother in the world!


Grandma Sue!

Play time with Daddy and Uncle Jameson

Mommy is already learning how to multi-task (reading and feeding)

Comments

Heath Zuck said…
AWESOME.
Beth Lang, RN said…
I couldn't be more thrilled for you and your family! You are an amazing family with one amazing little girl. I have been inspired by your strength and positive attitude through it all. I was so glad to get you know you all and be a part of Lia's "team." Take care and enjoy your family!!!
rachelberdo said…
I smiled so big when reading this, and even shed a tear! I love you and am so happy for you guys to move on with your life.
Marsha Jones said…
Great news! Glad all work out, we have a powerful and loving God. I'm sure all the grandparents will enjoy being able to see the kids more. Continuing prayers..
Stefenie said…
Congratulations on your homecoming!
Shelby Allen said…
Congrats Shield's Family!! What an exciting time!! Jack & Lia are lucky to have you as a mom Ashley!! Enjoy your time with your babies :) So glad to hear you are out of the hospital!
This is great news! So happy for you guys! Enjoy being a family of 4...ALL TOGETHER :) How awesome of a surprise for your family to see sweet Lia home! Rest while you can and may the good days continue!!! Always praying for you and Lia!
Pam the Realtor said…
I am sooooo happy that Lia is doing so well and you are home. I think it was a great idea to head for the family first. It's exactly what you need after all you have been thru.
Ila said…
We are just so happy for you!!! Will continue to keep you in our prayers. Enjoy your time with your two beautiful gifts from God.
Tammy N. said…
This could very likely be the best Mother's Day gift of all time for you, Ashley! What a blessing to be out of the hospital and surrounded by your 3 AND the rest of your loving family. Enjoy, rest, learn and keep praising Him through it all!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine. Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the ...

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...