Skip to main content

1st Week Home!

Well, we have almost been home a whole week!  We are slowly getting into a groove and routine around here.  Lia is doing very well.  We met with her new pediatrician this week.  She gained a whole 3 ounces, which puts her at 7.13 now.  We have a little over a week to go on the skimmed milk, and then I get to put her back on regular breast milk!  Her incision is healing very well, and we meet with her new cardiologist on the 31st for a follow up echo cardiogram, and chest x ray.

Jack, Jack, Jack....he's having a hard time adjusting to life with mommy and daddy again.  We are getting lots of 'I don't want you to leave anymore...." and "when are we going back to our house?"  Which of course, breaks our hearts!  We keep reassuring him that mommy and daddy are here to stay! He's been acting up quite a bit too, which we expected.  Hopefully he gets it all out of his system soon.

We had our very first trip out tonight as a family of 4.  We went to Target.  It was horrible.  I needed to return a few things, so we went straight to the customer service desk.  I realized I had forgotten something, so Ryan went out to the car to grab it.  Big mistake.  While waiting for Ryan to return, Jack ran away from me.  I completely panicked.  Just as I was turning the cart (with Lia in it) to chase after him (and lose my place in the long return line) Ryan was coming back in the door, thankfully!  He finally caught Jack on the opposite side of the registers running through the clothing. Since Jack ran away, he had to ride in the cart the rest of the time, which he hated, so he began to throw all our items out of the cart, including a ceramic soccer-ball bank he swiped from the dollar bins at the front of the store.  Shattered everywhere.  I didn't even know he had put it in the cart!  About this same time, Lia starts to bawl, and has to be carried around for the rest of the time.  Needless to say, we didn't make it to our next destination.  We went straight home.

Some really exciting news...My sister, Morgan, and her hubby, Brent had their first baby last night!  Brynn Elizabeth Schumacher was born at 7:53 and weighed 8 lbs. and was 20 inches!  We all rode over to Harlan today to see them.  She looks a lot like Morgan!  She and Lia are going to be the best of friends!  I'm excited for them to grow up together so close in age.  Congratulations to them!

Here are some pics from our first week home.  Enjoy!


Early morning cuddles.

Jack likes to help give Lia her meds.

Grandpa Maury and Grandma Diane came to visit!

A visit from Uncle Jameson

An evening by the fire pit with my girl

And my guy!

Sweet dreams

Chillin' in the swing!

She likes to sleep with her hands up like this!  Love it! Incision healing well.  The scar to the lower left is where her chest drain was.

Congratulations Morgan and Brent!

My beautiful niece, Brynn.

Grandma and Grandpa with all the grandkids.

Yeah, we did that.  Isn't it cute, though??

Comments

Jenny beatty said…
My daughter used to sleep with her hands up like that too when she was little and sometimes still does at 7.5 months. Congrats to ur sis. Glad I guys are all doing well so far.
Seasons of Life said…
You look sooo happy to be out of the hospital! We are so happy for you and your family! You don't know us but we went to church with your parents, Ashley, and we live in Harlan so we see Brent and Morgan some! We have been following Lia's progress and have been praying for all of you. Happy Mother's Day!!! Donna and Kevin Christensen
Deb Wagler said…
You have some wonderful pictures there, and I am so happy for all of your blessings!! Hugs!
Mary said…
Oh she is doing so wonderful! Thank you Jesus! What a doll wi all of that hair. I can't help but thiink that her sleeping position is a result of her knowing she's a heart warrior and making sure everyone else knows too! You go girlie!

Love you!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine. Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the ...

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...