Skip to main content

Survived!

Well, the first week of school has come and gone, and even though I didn't think I would, I survived! We started on a Monday, which if you ask any teacher, is TORTURE! Wednesday or Thursday starts are much easier on both teacher AND students! They are tired, not into a routine, and always asking when its time to go home! They are not used to the long days of school after being on different schedules all summer long. I was greeted Monday morning by one of my former students with this: "Mrs. Shields! You're STILL growin' that thing in there?"

I have 20 students in my class. 14 boys, and only 6 girls! Maybe this is God's way of preparing me for raising a boy? I'm trying to keep a positive outlook on all those rambunctious little boys...thank goodness none of them are named Jack!

Not only was it my first day of school on Monday, it was Ryan's as well! We are finally into his last year at WSU. Hooray! He is set to graduate in May from WSU's College of Engineering! I am so proud of him. He has quite the classload: Calculus 4, Physics 4, Thermodynamics 4, and Econ. of Engineering, just to name a few!

This is me on the first day of school. I would've made Ryan take a picture too, but he was still in his pj's.

Baby News! Tomorrow will mark the start of week 27! My poor feet are not used to such long days, and I'm dealing with swollen ankles and sore feet, and Ryan's poor hands are not used to all the rubbing the've been dealing with this week!
We are taking a class on breastfeeding this weekend at the birthing center where Jack will be born. I'm very interested, and, well....you can guess how Ryan feels about this class! Partners are highly encouraged to come though, so he is coming to support me, and I'm sure it won't hurt him to know the information either!
This picture was taken last weekend before we went to the staff BBQ for school.

Special Note:
Please keep my sister in your prayers. She thought she was having an appendicitis attack the other night, and now is in the hospital. They believe she has diverticulitis, and will be undergoing testing and monitoring for the next 3-4 days. No one wants to be in the hospital for an hour, let alone several days! Not to mention that she can't eat the entire time shes there! Poor thing! I will keep you posted on her condition.
Morgan on her wedding day! Looking beautiful!

Comments

Rocio Bozarth said…
You are looking so cute. Not that you weren't cute already! I'm sorry to hear about your sis. I will pray for her.
The Nerliens said…
You look so cute Ash! Keep me posted on Morgan! You have less than 100 days to go!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine. Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the ...

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...