I lost 2 students today....one is moving to Texas, and the other to Missouri. Michael's (student moving to TX) mom wanted to know if she could bring some cupcakes in for his last day at Linwood, I thought that would be just great! Little did I know, that she would also be bringing Michael's pet snake! The students LOVED holding it and petting it! I didn't have a single student who didn't want to hold it!
Just when I think that we are putting the snake away, Michael's mom asks me if I want a turn to hold it. I kindly say "Oh, I'm sure it's been passed around enough..." hoping she would realize that I wanted nothing to do with the snake. Unfortunately for me, all the kids started chanting "Mrs. Shields Mrs. Shields, Mrs. Shields" so I was basically forced to hold the snake. Especially after Michael's mom said "how are you going to let these 6 year olds show you up?" I KNOW this picture is H O R R I B L E of me.....but I thought it did a great job of capturing the moment and exactly how i felt. I got scared when the snake moved it's head a little bit and made her take it back from me, holding the snake for a grand total of 2 seconds. Basically just enough time for Michael's mom to take this pic of me. Of course all the students laughed and thought it was hilarious. They told me I was a "scardy cat." I told them, "just be glad this isn't a bird...."

Mrs. Shields does NOT like the snake. PS: My chin doesn't really look like that in real life!
Just when I think that we are putting the snake away, Michael's mom asks me if I want a turn to hold it. I kindly say "Oh, I'm sure it's been passed around enough..." hoping she would realize that I wanted nothing to do with the snake. Unfortunately for me, all the kids started chanting "Mrs. Shields Mrs. Shields, Mrs. Shields" so I was basically forced to hold the snake. Especially after Michael's mom said "how are you going to let these 6 year olds show you up?" I KNOW this picture is H O R R I B L E of me.....but I thought it did a great job of capturing the moment and exactly how i felt. I got scared when the snake moved it's head a little bit and made her take it back from me, holding the snake for a grand total of 2 seconds. Basically just enough time for Michael's mom to take this pic of me. Of course all the students laughed and thought it was hilarious. They told me I was a "scardy cat." I told them, "just be glad this isn't a bird...."
Mrs. Shields does NOT like the snake. PS: My chin doesn't really look like that in real life!
This is Michael and his snake! Such a cutie! I'm going to miss him.
**I had permission to post this photo of him.
Like I said earlier, I lost 2 students which now puts my class at 19! I am the next first grade teacher to get a new student, so we'll see if that happens any time soon! Oh, and by the way, it was 74 degrees here today! In February! Half my class didn't even come to school with coats today because it was in the 50s when school started this morning!
Comments