Dear Jack,
A year ago today, was the most amazing day of my life. You were born. Daddy and I had never felt so many emotions before. We were nervous, scared, excited, and anxious. I'll never forget the first time the doctor placed you in my arms. I knew I loved you before you were born, but once I held you, it was a type of love that I cannot even begin to put in words. You amaze me every day. I love seeing the new things you do each day. I love it when you say 'mama" and give me hugs and kisses. I love seeing your smile when I walk into your room each morning. I love comforting you when you are sad, I love reading books with you, playing with your toys, giving you baths, rocking you to sleep, and helping you walk from room to room. You're laugh is infectious, and I can hear it even when you're not with me.
The last year has been by far the best (and fastest) year of my life. I love you more and more each day. Happy 1st birthday, Jack. I love you so much!
Love,
Mommy
Jack Ryan Shields: 11/19/09




A new hat and mittens and a cool toy helicopter (that Jack is playing with as I'm typing this) from Adam and Arrena!


A year ago today, was the most amazing day of my life. You were born. Daddy and I had never felt so many emotions before. We were nervous, scared, excited, and anxious. I'll never forget the first time the doctor placed you in my arms. I knew I loved you before you were born, but once I held you, it was a type of love that I cannot even begin to put in words. You amaze me every day. I love seeing the new things you do each day. I love it when you say 'mama" and give me hugs and kisses. I love seeing your smile when I walk into your room each morning. I love comforting you when you are sad, I love reading books with you, playing with your toys, giving you baths, rocking you to sleep, and helping you walk from room to room. You're laugh is infectious, and I can hear it even when you're not with me.
The last year has been by far the best (and fastest) year of my life. I love you more and more each day. Happy 1st birthday, Jack. I love you so much!
Love,
Mommy
Jack Ryan Shields: 11/19/09
Wow! My baby is 1! I can hardly believe it! He had a great first birthday. Here is a recap of the day: Ryan took the whole day off to spend with Jack. For breakfast, Daddy made him pancakes! This was his first time eating pancakes and he loved them! Ryan even made a special Mickey Mouse shaped pancake for the birthday boy! While Mommy was at work, Daddy and Jack did lots of playing!
Later in the afternoon, Jack and Ryan came up to school, because my class had a special birthday party for him. I made cupcakes for everyone, and my class sang happy birthday to Jack. A few students even wrote their own songs for Jack and performed them for him.
When we got home from school, it was time to open his presents!
Digging in to the first bag! Hmmm, wonder whats in there? (It was clothes. He like the tissue paper much more than his new threads.)

Moving on...Jack ripped tiny pieces of paper a little at a time, so Ryan and I helped him with the unwrapping a little bit.

Magnetic letters and numbers for the fridge! Never too early to start learning! (Must be the teacher in me...)
Magnetic letters and numbers for the fridge! Never too early to start learning! (Must be the teacher in me...)
A new hat and mittens and a cool toy helicopter (that Jack is playing with as I'm typing this) from Adam and Arrena!
He is very excited about his new basketball hoop! Daddy can't wait to give him lessons!
If you know Ryan well, you know that he wears a lot of Puma. Now Jack has a matching jacket just like Daddy's! I was given strict instructions NOT to dress Jack in this tomorrow, since Iowa plays Ohio State.

Hopefully his new walker-toy will be just the push he needs to get up and go!

The walker even came with a phone on it...Jack loves to pretend he's talking on the phone. Other "phones" that Jack likes to talk on include the remote, the camera, and both of our cell phones. (my apologies to all of you who Jack has accidentally called...)

After presents, we went out for dinner, Jack slept almost the whole time. I guess he was exhausted from his big day!
Hopefully his new walker-toy will be just the push he needs to get up and go!
The walker even came with a phone on it...Jack loves to pretend he's talking on the phone. Other "phones" that Jack likes to talk on include the remote, the camera, and both of our cell phones. (my apologies to all of you who Jack has accidentally called...)
After presents, we went out for dinner, Jack slept almost the whole time. I guess he was exhausted from his big day!
A little help from Dad.

Time to dig in! I thought Jack just might poke at the cupcake and not do much with it. I was wrong. He couldn't get enough!

Time to dig in! I thought Jack just might poke at the cupcake and not do much with it. I was wrong. He couldn't get enough!
Mmmmm


The party festivites are hardly over. Jack has TWO birthday parties still to go when we are in Iowa over Thanksgiving. He is one lucky little guy!
The party festivites are hardly over. Jack has TWO birthday parties still to go when we are in Iowa over Thanksgiving. He is one lucky little guy!
We are REALLY looking forward to our trip home next week! We have lots of stuff planned, not to mention all the great food that will be involved!
Have a great weekend!
Comments