Skip to main content

New Hobby?

While walking around Hobby Lobby this week, I decided that maybe I should take on a new hobby. I looked at all sorts of things...painting, cross stitching, scrap booking, and then it hit me...KNITTING! Why not? My grandma is an expert, (I have afghans to prove it) and with Jack on the way, why not make my son a blanket?

I am seriously laughing as I type this, because my vision of baby blankets has since vanished. Apparently the little 1/2 sheet of knitting instructions I picked up at the store, is not enough of a teacher for me. When I couldn't understand that, I turned to the internet for help. I read page after page on how to start, I even watched some "how-to" videos. Well., after much practice, I finally mastered the "casting on" part of knitting, which is the first step to starting any project, but I cannot get anywhere past that. I emailed my grandma and told her that the next time I am home I am going to need her to sit down and help me! I am assuming that having a real life teacher is a much better way to learn than trying to decipher written instructions by myself. And instead of a baby blanket, I'm thinking that a pot holder might be more of an attainable goal to start with.

So, until I can sit down with my grandma, my really cool PURPLE knitting needles, and my blue and white yarn will have to just sit idle. Hey, atleast I tried?? That has to count for something!


In other news, now that we are onto week 23 of this pregnancy, Jack can hear us, and other things in the outside world! We have been playing music from our ipod for him. It's so funny the different reactions we get from him from the different types of songs we play. He seems to like a lot of Robert Randolph (one of Ryans favorite), because he moves a lot when we play those songs. On the other hand, he could be kicking because he wants us to stop?? Either way, we love it when he moves. Especially when Ryan can see and feel it too. We are almost 2/3 the way done with this pregnancy! If only I could get a handle on this heartburn...
(me playing some tunes for Jack)
PS: If you didn't already know the name of our baby boy before reading this blog, you do now! Jack Ryan Shields!! We can't wait to meet him!

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dawn Bachtle said…
Ashley - you just crack me up! You never cease to amaze me!!
The Nerliens said…
You're funny! If and when you do learn how to knit - don't forget about Jack's little buddy back in Iowa - it gets cold here and I'm sure he/she could use a blanket!
Rocio Bozarth said…
Knitting? You are crazy. I wanted to start a lot of things when I was pregnant but knitting was none of them. You are funny! I guess I think of grandparents when I think of knitting. LOL!
Rachel Berdo said…
I knitted when I was pregnant with Tess. My blanket also turned into a potholder/dish rag sort of thing. But once you get the hang of knitting you can pick it up and put it down for a while. Maybe your 3rd kid will have a blanket :-)
Nicole Cox said…
Maybe you and I can start a Linwood knitting club, lol. We probably ought to first find someone who knows how. I too have looked online at videos and mastered long tail casting on. I can't do anything else yet though. Maybe soon, christmas potholders might be a nice gift for people, lol!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine. Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the ...

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...