Skip to main content

Zip Line

 Recently, while sorting through some things, I came across a stack of 'memento's if you will, of things that we saved from Children's Mercy--A hospital receiving blanket, an infant sized hospital gown, the stuffed bear that held the ventilator off her chest,  the bow they "jellied" to her hair so people would know she was a girl, the different signs that hung in her room that told doctors and residents what 'studies' she was apart of,  and the book 'Zip Line'.  We got this book after we were discharged. It's about a little girl who has open heart surgery, and is left with a scar, or, zip line.  It's a really great book, and I can't wait to talk with Lia about it when she's older.

A while back, I sent it down to Kansas City to have Lia's doctors and nurses sign it, and when I got it back in the mail, it was like Christmas.  I really cannot say enough about the amazing care we had in Kansas City.  A wonderful team of doctors and nurses who saved the life of our daughter!  I meant to share this with all of you a lot earlier, but time got away from me, so I'm sharing it now!

I didn't take a picture of every single page, just the cover, but will include the words :)


Zip Line was written by the father of a CHD survivor.  Click on the link for more information.


Zip Line:  If you peek at my middle, in the center of my chest, you'll notice something different, it's not like all the rest.

Some will wonder silently, while others may just stare, but what you must want to know, "How did that line get there?"

I wasn't struck by lightning or in a fencing duel, and I didn't get a scratch from showing a lion who is cool.

My zip-line is from when I was young and the doctors fixed my heart.  The scar that was left there is my personal work of art.

The zip-line is my trophy for being strong and brave.  My surgery lasted hours and my recovery took days.

There were pumps, tubes, and wires, and I needed lots of rest.  Everyone worked really hard to help me be my best.

Now I'm strong and healthy.  I'm really doing fine.  You'd never know about it, the only proof is this line.

When I play in the sprinkler or wear my suit at the pool, you might notice my zip-line and think it is pretty cool.

So ask me and I'll tell you my story, and my name.  And though we might look different there, we're otherwise the same.

Now let's go have fun and play or challenge me to a race, there's nothing that can stop me, my heart's keeping perfect pace.


Signatures from Children's Mercy staff
Nurse Nicole, one of our favorites :)  


I know I've shown you this before, but this is one of my favorite center pieces from Lia's benefit:  'He Heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. Psalm 147:3  

 And while I still have you here, please keep the family of Jonathan Lockie in your prayers.  He was a heart warrior who earned his angel wings this week.  I know the Lockie family through a support group I belong to here in DesMoines.  Sara Lockie, his mother, was a HUGE advocate and supporter of the PluseOx bill that recently was signed into law. Jonathan's smile could light up a room.  He is such an inspiration to me, and someday I will tell Lia all about him.  Unfortunately, a recent asthma attack was too much for his complicated heart and lungs.  My heart breaks for this family.
   


Comments

Kristen said…
Ashley,

Would you be able to send me some more information about that book. I am a mama to a heart angel (http://littlemissritchie.blogspot.com) and we started a foundation in her memory called Charley's Hear. One of our fundraisers, known as Books for Charley, consists of book collections across the country, all which are ultimately given to pediatric cardiology programs/hospitals. I'm curious if we would be able to coordinate anyone to include some of these books in our donation. For more info check out charleysheart.com and click on the Books for Charley tab. I haven't updated with this years information, but you can see where we've had collections the past 2 years.

THANKS
Kristen Ritchie
charleysheart@gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine. Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the ...

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...