Skip to main content

Heart Mom's

We Heart Mom's have a special bond.  I have Heart Mom's on my Facebook whom I've never even met.   Heart Moms who I met in Kansas City, Heart Moms I've met in the lobby at the cardiologist's office, and Heart Mom's I've met in the teachers lounge. Heart Moms who have stories with happy endings, and heart moms who have angels in Heaven.  I am so thankful for their uplifting words, their understanding of my emotions, and their unending support!

The past 6 months have flown by.  Our lives have completely changed! I thank God EVERYDAY for my amazing family.


-I am a Heart Mom

I just wanted a normal baby

With no tubes
And no oxygen
And no surgeries
And no beeping machines

But instead, here we are
Stuck in a hospital room
Most are afraid to visit - it is awkward and sad

And then in parade the Heart Moms
Strangers
Strangers with babies like mine
Even babies who have finished their battle and are in Heaven
You can see it in their eyes -
 
They know

And they bring chocolate
And Pepsi
And Tears and Laughter
But mainly they bring empathy

And so they hold my hand and lift me up
When I cannot stand
And together we walk this journey

I am a Heart Mom
I know things one just should not know
I know what it's like to hear the words Paliative Care
and Heart Failure
I know that it takes 3 days for my baby's hunger pains
to go away
I know what Necrotizing Enterocolitis is and other
fun medical terms
I know that it is 29 centimeters from her nostril
to the top of her stomach
I know how to put a tube that long
down my baby's nose, and miss her lung
I know that chest tube juice is impossible to get out
of baby clothes
I know the cry of another Heart Mom losing her child
I know what a running group of doctors means
I know what it's like to watch a machine
that has your baby's future written all over it
I know what it's like to wake in panic at beeping alarms
I know what it's like to feel like your baby
 

belongs to the hospital

But I also know what it's like
to leap with joy at my baby drinking half a teaspoon
to come out of a 6 hour surgery with good news
to defy the odds
to lift up another Heart Mom in tears
to be surrounded by Warrior Moms
to release a balloon in memory of an Angel
to survive a war
to be in the presence of a Miracle

So today I am a Heart Mom
And I wouldn't want to be anything else!


And for a one month/six month comparison!  She's growing, thriving, and impressing us more and more everyday!  We love you, Lia Michele!



Comments

Tiffany halvorson said…
Hahn I love she has her boots on! She looks so good! I'm actually studying the chapter right now on her heart condition. You have one of the strongest little girls I have ever seen.
Pam the Realtor said…
She has changed so much! Does she have Jack's amazing blue eyes? If you want to read another amazing heart mom story, check out this blog: http://sammonsfamily7.blogspot.com/

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine. Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the ...

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...