Skip to main content

The Eyes Have It

My son has the most beautiful eyes in the world. I am not joking. In. The. World. And now, more than ever, when I look in his eyes, I see the world.

We found out today, from a pediatric opthamologist, that Jack has a condition called Ocular Albanism with Nystagmus. His is very mild, and he does not need glasses right now, but will eventually. Nystagmus has a long history in my family, and is genetic. It is a gene carried by a female and only given to males. Unfortunately, it has plagued my family for generations. We started noticing back in February that Jack was having difficulty focusing. One night while we were watching TV, I kept wondering why Jack kept staring out our front door. Turns out, he wasn't staring out the door, but was using the corners of his eye to watch TV, instead of staring straight on. I sort of passed it off, but then we started to notice how his head would "bobble" when he was trying to focus on something like a book, and I began to grow concerned. I thought maybe it was all in my head (or secretly wished that it was) but then more and more people started to notice. We talked to a family friend who also happens to be an optometrist, who said we should make an appointment with our optometrist here in Wichita, who then referred us to the opthamologist. Today, was a day of answered prayer, and huge relief, when we discovered his condition is mild, and right now, he can see just fine. He will need to be seen by the opthamologist several times a year to make sure we stay on top of things.

For weeks, I have been crying and feeling very sad. I have personally seen the effects of nystagmus, as several of my family members also have it. I knew that it was in God's hands, but as a mother, I feared for my son. I want everything to be perfect for him. I would give him the world if I could. I am so thankful for family and friends who have been praying for us, sending encouraging emails, texts, phone calls, and hugs. Most of all, I am thankful for my husband during this time. He has been my rock. He has been so positive and encouraging. A shoulder for me to cry on on minute and making me laugh the next. I admire his ability to see the positive in everything.

We are so happy to have some answers now, and are breathing a sigh of relief. I had more tears today, but they were tears of joy this time! God is so good!

Take a look at these eyes. I could stare at them all day!

























In other Shields family news:



  • Only 16 more days of school!


  • We are now members at Central Community Church here in Wichita. We have been attending since Feb. and became members a couple of weeks ago. It feels so nice to have a church home. It was important to both of us that Jack be in church, and in doing so, it has helped Ryan and I get back on track as well.


  • Jack is being dedicated at church on Fathers Day.


  • We are heading home next weekend for Jameson's graduation from college. I still can't believe that my little brother is old enough to be done with college.


  • Speaking of old, I turn one more year closer to 30 this month....ughhhh 27.

Have a great rest of the week!!

Comments

Morgan said…
Love you guys! So glad that you guys got good news!! You are right...God is so good!
Dawn said…
I know how you feel Ashley and feel your fear and pain for Jack. My boys and their ears have brought me to those same tears as you. Michael only hearing with one ear now - and no telling how long that will last - hopefully forever. Brett having the same problems but thankfully catching it earlier than Michael. I went over and over in my mind how it would/could be if they had no hearing - and how that would affect their lives. As a mother you want nothing but your child to be happy and healthy - and not have any disadvantages in the world. Granted - things could be SOOOO much worse and I have nothing to complain about - but you just never want your child to be suffering in any way. So trust me - I totally understand and I'm so thankful that you got some great news. Prayers do get answered.....:) Love and miss you guys!!!
Pam the Realtor said…
Wow, never heard of that before. So glad you've had it checked out and now can deal with it. The unknown is so much more scarey. And I think Jack's eyes and all of his hair is what first caught my attention to your blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine. Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the ...

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...