Skip to main content

2017 Recap

Well, it's the last day of 2017, and as I log on here to recap our year, I realize that the last blog I did this year was for Lia's birthday in March.  I think I am going to make my New Year's resolution to be better about blogging.  I know that someday as I'm going back through and reading them, I will appreciate that I took the time to sit and write them.  What can I say though? Life is busy. 

2017 brought many ups for the Shields family, and also a few downs.  Enjoy this look back:

January brought Jack and Lia's first trip to Carver Hawkeye Arena for an Iowa game! They had a lot of fun. We also went to the Drake/UNI game, celebrated Lia's last (preschool) Donuts with Dad, and had lunch at school with Jack to celebrate his 'Star Student' week in first grade!




February brought another excellent check up with Lia's Cardiologist, Dr. Lozier.  We are still seeing him annually, where she receives an echo-cardiogram, and EKG, and (fingers crossed) another year's clearance!  God continues to bless us with Lia's good health.  We are so thankful.

We also took a trip to Great Wolf Lodge in Kansas City for a fun weekend getaway.  We met up with friends from Wichita, and had a blast!





In March we celebrated Lia's 5th birthday, and Grandma Diane's 70th birthday! For St. Patrick's Day we went downtown to the parade, where Lia got hit in the face with a cabbage (yes, a cabbage)! It was quite a scary moment, and she got a small bloody nose, but she survived and now we have quite a story to tell!




In April, we walked in the Heart Walk again! This was a bittersweet year as Grandpa Jim was not able to hold Lia in the survivor's photo, although we know he was watching over us from Heaven. Grandpa Jeff stepped in and held her.  Little did we know at the time that Grandpa Jeff was struggling from heart issues of his own (See November)



May was a great month, as we celebrated Lia's preschool graduation, and even more exciting, her last Methotrexate injection for rheumatoid arthritis! We still see her rheumatologist twice a year at the University of Iowa, but so far her arthritis has stayed in remission.  There is no cure for arthritis, (much like heart disease) so we continue to monitor. I am happy to report that she is doing so well! She never complains about her joints hurting, and is very active! Again, God is good.

I turned 33 in May, and we went to Celebrasian downtown to try lots of new foods! We had a lot of fun.



In June, we celebrated Daddy turning 36, and my 15 year high school reunion in Washington.




July was a fabulous month, not only was Jack baptized in front of much of his family, but we took an amazing Rosien family vacation to the Gulf Shores! Memories to last a lifetime were made.











In August, Ryan and I celebrated 9 years of marriage in St. Louis! Jack started 2nd grade, and Lia started kindergarten.  They are both blessed with amazing teachers.  I started my 11th year of teaching.  I'm still at Southeast Polk, teaching 4th grade at Willowbrook Elementary in Altoona.  I am lucky to have Jack and Lia in the building where I teach.




In September, Jack was able to attend his first Iowa football game with Ryan! They traveled to Ames to see Iowa play Iowa State! Jack had a great time.  We also celebrated my Dad's 60th birthday in Iowa City to see the Hawks play Penn State.

Also in September Jack caught an amazing fish off the Wapsie River! While fishing with Grandpa Maury, he reeled in a 32 in. Northern Pike! We now have a canvas of the photo below hanging in Jack's room.





October brought cold temperatures but some cute trick-or-treaters!


November started off great! We celebrated Jack turning 8 by taking him to his first Iowa football game at Kinnick Stadium, which included a tour of the football training facilities! He was pumped.

November ended on a more sour note as we said goodbye to Ryan's grandmother.  We celebrated her life with a beautiful service surrounded by family.  The next day, my dad suffered a heart attack and ended up having two stents put in.  He is currently still in cardiac rehab and is steadily recovering.  He continues to be monitored closely as the artery that was left open is 70% blocked. Continued prayers for him are appreciated!







December, as always, is so fun! Christmas shopping, Christmas lights, celebrating Christ's birth, Christmas break from school, and time spent surrounded by family! It goes too quick! We had a wonderful holiday season.






I'm excited for what 2018 has in store! We already have some fun plans in the works! I hope you all have a wonderful new year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine. Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the ...

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...