Skip to main content

MRI Results

We got our results from Lia's MRI this morning.  The good news, is no rheumatoid arthritis!  However, she has a condition called 'synovial chondromatosis'.  To describe it how it was described to us is that, the synovium, which is the lining around her knee joint breaks off into little nodules and float around her knee cavity causing it to swell.  The nodules calcify and grow, causing knee pain and eventually, arthritis.  The nodules are like benign tumors.  This is very rare in children.  In fact, her pediatrician had to do some research on it before she even called us to tell us the news.  The only way to take care of it is through surgery.  We are meeting with an orthopedic surgeon in Minneapolis at Gillette Children's Hospital on Monday, and then will discuss surgical plans then.

I did not handle the news well, and ended up having to leave school today. I was thankful to have the afternoon to make some phone calls, reflect, snuggle with Lia, and put a plan into motion for our venture to Minnesota next week.  I'm feeling pretty bummed about the thought of more surgery, but trying very hard to stay focused on all the good.  I really do have so much to be thankful for and I'm trying to keep that at the front of my mind.  I will update as I learn things.  In the meantime, we are going on as normal, trying not to focus on upcoming surgery, and reminding ourselves all the time that God is good, He makes no mistakes, and He never gives us more than we can handle.

Thank you for all the kind comments and texts yesterday.  They made us feel so much better and so loved!

Comments

Pam the Realtor said…
Sending you a big HUG from AZ! Hang in there
Nicole said…
Well darn it could be an excuse to come back to KC for a visit with that precious little girl. You are in my prayers Shields family.
Sheila M. said…
Keeping you in our prayers. Kia is lucky to have you.
Anonymous said…
As I did some reading on her condition, I was thrilled to read its "benign" and "uncommon to reoccur". Now we know more specifically how to pray for Lia. First of all, that they can do the surgery arthroscopically. Will be anxious to hear what the Dr in Minneapolis says. Meanwhile keep doing what you're doing so well, "Keep Calm AND Trust God". Love & prayers, Tammy N.

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine. Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the ...

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...