Hello all! As you noticed, earlier today I posted pictures from Lia's MRI that she had done today. I realize that not a lot of you know about what has been going on, as I haven't been that social about it. It all started a couple of months ago, when Ryan and I noticed that Lia was having trouble walking in the mornings. She would often stand in her room crying until one of us came to carry her. At first we just thought her legs were asleep and didn't think too much of it. Well, this went on and on, and started to get a bit worse. Eventually she started having to hang onto furniture to get around, and that's when I started to get more nervous. Finally, one morning a few weeks ago, it took her almost an hour to be able to walk on her own. I called her cardiologist right away, thinking that she was not getting enough blood flow to her legs, which was causing them to fall asleep and make her so wobbly. Well, cardiology wasn't the issue. Her cardiologist said that we needed to call her pediatrician and talk to her about it. She wanted to see her right away, for blood tests, a physical, and an x ray of one of her knees that had recently become very swollen. Her pediatrician mentioned that she may possibly have rheumatoid arthritis, so we tested her blood for that, amongst a variety of other things. Well, turns out she tested negative for rheumatoid, but positive for synovitis, which is joint inflammation. Due the the positive test for that, her pediatician says that the negative rheumatoid test may have been inaccurate, and she would like to have an MRI done on her knee to confirm things, and make sure we aren't missing something else. Also, the x ray of her knee showed that some of her bone on her knee had eroded, which would also be from arthritis. SO, that brings you up to date on everything. We are still waiting on results from the MRI to either a) confirm that she does in fact have rheumatoid arthritis, or b) tell us what she does have, if not arthritis.
If Lia does in fact have arthritis, guess what?! There is no pediatric rheumatologist in Des Moines! So, we are on to either Omaha or Iowa City to meet with one and start a care plan. We have a lot of unknowns right now, which is nerve wracking. However, there are lots of things to be positive about. 1) After her joints warm up in the morning, she is good to go, and doesn't show many signs of pain the rest of the day. 2) It's treatable 3) It's not her heart. Even though this is one more freakin' thing to add to Lia's list of health issues, Ryan and I are ready to take it head on and get it under control! (I say that now, but when we first found out, I was of course, a big mess). Thank you for the continued prayers and support. We have such amazing friends and family.
Also including a few pictures from September! The school year is off to a great start for both Jack and I! I am loving 4th grade, and Jack is loving 4 year old pre-k. I will continue to update you on Lia as we figure more things out!
.JPG) |
| Jack's first day of 4 year old Pre-K! |
.JPG) |
| I can't believe I'm a year away from sending him to kindergarten. |
.JPG) |
| Jack and Miss Noelia |
.JPG) |
| The first few nights of school were ROUGH. Very tired. He's all adjusted now, and things are going much better! |
.JPG) |
| Over Labor Day, we went to the Iowa/UNI game and spend time with family in Fairbank. |
.JPG) |
| In Fairbank with Sarah and Leo |
.JPG) |
| Were able to hang out with Brooke and Adam for a little while in Iowa City! Great seeing them. |
.JPG) |
| We made a stop in Cedar Falls over Labor Day weekend too, and looked around campus. This is our selfie with the Campanile! |
.JPG) |
| They have these chairs all over campus. Future Panthers? |
.JPG) |
| Saturday was spent watching Iowa football with the Olesen's/ |
.JPG) |
| Partaking in some of their family football traditions. So fun! |
.JPG) |
| On Sunday we headed to Cedar Rapids to help my in laws celebrate 40 wonderful years of marriage! |
.JPG) |
| How adorable is this pic that Grandma Diane snapped of Jack on Sunday? Love it. |
.JPG) |
| Lia and I at the hospital prepping for her MRI. She was so brave. Didn't even shed a tear when they started her IV. |
.JPG) |
| Back from her MRI, just waiting for her to wake up! She handled her anesthesia like a pro. Now we just have to wait for the results. |

Comments
So glad to see our post and get updated on Lia. Your mom had asked us to be praying a couple weeks ago about her leg issues. I can imagine you and Ryan have not been thrilled about taking her through all these tests, but what a trooper she has proved to be...AGAIN! Keep being hopeful and faithful AND believing in God delivering your miracle. Whatever this turns out to be, Lia won't be facing it alone. Way to see the positives in what we all see as a sucky thing...thanks for being the light. Love & God's blessings, Tammy