Skip to main content

Echocardiogram 2014

 Well, another year's echo has come, and gone!  Thank you so much to everyone who sent me a text, email, or said a prayer for us.  I was one nervous Mom.  Even though I had a pretty good feeling everything was going to be ok, I was one big, sweaty palmed, knotted stomach wreck. And the cherry on top?  I took Lia all by myself.  I am used to Ryan's reassurance at cardiology appointments, but it wasn't in the cards this time with his work, nor could my mom get the afternoon off, so it was just me.  I especially like to have an extra person with me to make sure I don't miss anything, or forget to ask a specific question.  Especially since heart disease involves so much medical terminology. But, I survived.

My goodness--you would think this appointment was all about me! Ok, now onto the patient-- Miss Lia.  She was SO AWESOME.  Usually, she bawls through the chest x ray--especially since we don't get to go with her for that.  She was hesitant, but went.  Even walked into the room herself.  She usually bawls through the EKG.  Not one single tear. The echo?  Not one peep from her.  She knew her Mom was nervous, and sure was easing a few of my nerves.  I couldn't believe it. She even fell asleep in my arms as we waited for Dr. Lozier to come talk to me about the results.  Speaking of the results, we got a another year's clearance!  Yay!  I still haven't fully grasped the thought that the next surgery is years away (God willing), because everything happened so fast with her in the beginning.  Birth, ICU, flight to Kansas City, more ICU, Surgery 1, Surgery 2, Surgery 3, collapsed diaphragm, chylothorax, hemangiomas.  In that order.  All before she was 2 months old.  Now it's all fixed, and I just get to sit back and wait.  And that's hard for me!

We are so thankful and praise God for the continued good news we hear about Lia and her special heart.  We will have a check-up in July, (just an EKG) and then won't go back for another echo until next January!

I always just assume everyone knows what I'm talking about when I say 'echo', but when a co-worker asked me what that was, I got to thinking that maybe not everyone knows what one is, so I'm leaving you with a few definitions of medical terminology that is very much apart of the Shields Family vocabulary.

Echocardiogram:


a test of the action of the heart using ultrasound waves to produce a visual display, used for the diagnosis or monitoring of heart disease

Tetrology of Fallot:
 is a cardiac anomaly that refers to a combination of four related heart defects that commonly occur together. The four defects are: 
1.  Pulmonary stenosis − narrowing of the pulmonary valve and outflow tract or area below the valve that creates an obstruction (blockage) of blood flow from the right ventricle to the pulmonary artery 
2.  Ventricular septal defect / VSD 

3.  Overriding aorta − the aortic valve is enlarged and appears to arise from both the left and right ventricles instead of the left ventricle as in normal hearts 

4.  Right ventricular hypertrophy − thickening of the muscular walls of the right ventricle, which occurs because the right ventricle is pumping at high pressure
A small percentage of children with Tetralogy of Fallot may also have additional ventricular septal defects, an atrial septal defect / ASD or abnormalities in the branching pattern of their coronary arteries. Some patients with Tetralogy of Fallot have complete obstruction to flow from the right ventricle, or pulmonary atresia. Tetralogy of Fallot may be associated with chromosomal abnormalities, such as 22q11 deletion syndrome.


Clear as mud?  Ok, enjoy the pictures!
Loved the encouraging notes, texts, and prayers we got!

Waiting for echo to start

Of course she had to wear heart socks!

Fell asleep in my arms!  It ended up being the best Thursday ever!

Comments

Deb Wagler said…
I am so happy that everything went well. It's okay to be nervous after what you have been through. I really enjoy your updates and appreciate them.
Keeping positive and enjoy each day as you are very blessed! Hugs
Anonymous said…
What joyous good news about Lia's heart...PTL! Wondering if her cardiology appt was in I.C. If so, and you ever have to go by yourself again, please give me a call. I'd be glad to be a 2nd set of ears and a side-kick encourager for you. Hugs & love, Tammy
Heather said…
Yay! So happy everything went well!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine. Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the ...

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...