| As many of you know, the Iowa House of Representatives recently passed the Pulse Ox bill 88-4! (I know, what 4 people would vote NO to something like this??) But anyway, the next step in the process is to get Governor Branstad to sign the bill. If you don't know what Pulse Ox screening is, click HERE. I was given the opportunity, along with several other CHD families, to talk with Branstad today about the importance of the screening, and to hopefully influence him into signing. Ryan and I took Lia with us too, in hopes that she might have some sort of 'woo' effect on him. | | | |
|
|
.JPG) |
| Beautiful day in DesMoines! |
 |
| Here, Branstad is listening to what we call an 'angel' mom. She gave birth to twins, and one of the twins scored low on the APGAR scale, so he was given a pulse ox test. The twin who showed no symptoms that would require a pulse ox test passed away 6 weeks later from a CHD. She brought pictures of her angel baby. I don't think there was a dry eye in the room. |
.JPG) |
| I was able to personally talk with the Governor about Lia's story. As you know, we had no idea during my entire pregnancy that she had a CHD. We were lucky that she had symptoms at birth (blue skin, and heart murmur) otherwise she may not have gotten the pulse ox either. |
.JPG) |
| Gosh, I love that smile! |
If you haven't had a chance to visit our
Team Lia page for the Des Moines Heart Walk coming up in June, please do so! We would love to have you on our team, even if you're not able to walk. The American Heart Association is doing some amazing things for patients and families affected by heart disease. You can visit the page by clicking on this link:
Other than our own daughter, Ryan and I both come from families with heart disease. Chances are, if it's not in your family, you know someone affected by heart disease. If you are interested in ordering a
Team Lia t-shirt, please send me a message at a.shields@hotmail.com
Comments