Skip to main content

Sleepless in Wichita

Just when I think it's going to be a quiet week here with not much to blog about, disaster strikes, and gives me plenty to write about! It all started around midnight on Sunday...screams coming from Jack's room! He was crying so hard, and nothing seemed to calm him down! I noticed that he was tugging on his ears too, so I thought for sure he was getting an ear infection. Then he started to "push" really hard, to no avail, so I thought he was constipated. I sent Ryan to the store to get some Karo syrup to put in his bottle (it's now about 2:30am) only for him to return to Jack refusing to eat! Jack would not sleep laying down, and would only sleep propped on one of our shoulders, so Ryan stayed up with him, so I could try and get some sleep for work the next day. I was awakened by the screams once again coming from the living room about 45 min. later, where Jack was in obvious pain. My heart ached for my little boy! I felt so helpless!

Ryan took Jack to the doctor the next morning where he was tested for pnemonia, ear infection, and strep. He didn't have any of those, and was diagnosed with a upper respiratory infection, in which there was nothing they could prescribe and we needed to just "ride it out..." The screaming and fever contined for the next 24 hours, along with the coughing, runny nose, and sore throat. I called the doctor back and he prescribed some antibiotics since Jack was still tugging on his ears and still had the fever. Needless to say, we are doing MUCH better, and hopefully will all be able to sleep peacefully tonight.

I guess on the bright side, our doctor said that we were lucky that he's 5 mo. old and hasn't had a fever yet...


This picture has been my "life" for the last 2 days: Coffee (and LOTS of it), nasal bulb syringe, infant tylenol, thermometers, and amoxicillan! I have only worked half days this week to relieve Ryan in the afternoons so he can try and get some sleep. Ryan hasn't made it to a single class and had to miss 2 shifts at work in order to stay home with Jack.


My poor sick little boy. He has been in his diaper most of the time to try and keep him cool. I like this picture, because he's half in, half out of the blanket, exactly how his mommy likes to sleep too! He also likes to sleep with his face in the blanket. Don't let the picture fool you though...there has NOT been a lot of sleeping going on around here.


Ahhh the humidifier! It has done wonders for Jack's breathing and nasal passages! How cute that it's shaped like a frog! (Thanks Rachel and Dan, this was a HUGE lifesaver this week!!)


The best daddy/husband in the world! Who also happens to be extremely exhausted. Jack slept in his carseat last night (upright position) and Ryan took him for a drive at 1:30am to try and get him to sleep and again at 4:30 to try and get him to sleep. Which worked, but only temporarily :(

We are all hoping for a good night's sleep tonight. And when I say "we" I am also including our poor neighbors who we have most likely kept up all night along with us...ahh the joys of the apartment living.

Comments

Rocio Bozarth said…
Awwww......I hope you guys get to rest soon. I know all too well how hard it is to have a sick little one. Hope you and Ryan get your much needed rest soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine. Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the ...

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...