December 31. Here we are yet again. I don't know if it's possible, but this year seems to have gone even quicker than the last. As I reflect on 2022, I have so much to be thankful for.
Jack, who is now a teenager and in the throes of junior high, is doing remarkably well. I worry about these years, as they can either be extremely positive, or extremely negative. He has a great group of friends, is doing well in school, and is involved with activities. Sometimes when I think about the fact that he is only in our home for 5 more years, it stops me in my tracks. My sweet boy, I pray for you daily.
Lia, my wild girl, 10 years old. We celebrated her 10th heartiversary in April, and continue to stand in awe at her health. She is fierce. She loves to dance and draw, and she has this quirky side to her that only a few see. She recently has become more clingy to me, snuggling on the couch, asking me to lay with her until she falls asleep, making lists of things we could do together (Starbucks is always number 1), and I know this won't last forever, so I am soaking it up. Reveling in her attention and her want to be with me. She is so loved.
Ryan and I celebrated 14 years of marriage in August, and are both loving our work. He continues to be in sales for Doll Distributing with stores in Altoona and Bondurant. I am finding my groove at Mitchellville Elementary, and have felt nothing but love from the staff there as I transition to a new grade and building. My refueled passion for teaching has been a breath of fresh air.
Now for the real reason you're all here: Our annual end-of-year interviews. These, honestly, are more for me, to look back on year after year, but once I started sharing them with all of you, and you enjoyed them as much as I did, I began sharing them yearly. I know it's even encouraged some of you to start interviewing your own kiddos.
I hope 2023 is amazing for you.
Jack, age 13J: When we won the Big 10 in basketball
L: The spelling bee. The way I spelled raised. I spelled it r-a-z-e-d. It’s hilarious. I was just thinking way too much in the moment. I was scared, and then I humiliated myself. But now I think its funny.
What is something you did this year that makes you proud?
J: I tried a raw oyster and didn’t die.
L: My giraffe drawing, and trying out for volleyball and making the Rams Black team.
Do you have any goals for 2023?
J: Not really.
L: I want to be able to do a back handspring
Best book you read this year?
J: You know, I didn’t read a lot of books.
L: Best Friends. It’s a graphic novel. Those are like the only books I'll read. The other ones are too long.
Who inspires you? Why?
J: Jesus, because he was perfect.
L: My Grandma Sue, because she also does really good art AND she danced pointe. She loves Jesus.
What is your current favorite food?
J: Popeyes Chicken
L: How many can I say? My top 3: Big Mac, Sushi, and chips and guac
If you could pick anywhere to travel to in 2023 where would you pick?
J: Detroit, Michigan.
L: I would want to go to Paris because of the views.
What makes you happy?
J: Winston, going out to eat, Dad when he does his Winston impressions
L: Being with my friends and dancing. Playing with my dog.
What do you like most about yourself?
J: Definitely my sense of humor. It’s GOAT-ed.
L: I’m a good dancer. I can eat a whole Big Mac. I’m a good friend and I’m kind.
How do you like to spend your time?
J: Usually I’ll just hop on my phone or play station.
L: Watching TV, drawing, dancing, hanging out with my friends and family.
What do you think will be different about the world when you’re older?
J: When I’m 20 I think a lot of people will have electric cars. When I’m 40, I think cars will fly. Trains won’t be a thing anymore. At least in the U.S.
L: I'll have to pay taxes, everything will be more expensive.
What do you think your future job will be?
J: Ninja
L: I don’t really have a job that I want to do. But if I had to choose it would be designing houses or a hairstylist.
What do you think Dad does at work all day?
J: Puts beer on shelves and talks to his friends.
L: I feel like he sells the beer to go on the shelf, but I also feel that he likes his job, because he gets to have beer.
What do you think Mom does at work all day?
J: Teaches people. Curses in her head.
L: Teach kids. Tell her fellow teachers about what her kids do. Be a good teacher.
What are some qualities that you look for in a best friend?
J: Loyalty and coolness
L: Someone who is loyal, someone you can trust. Someone who understands you.
What do you think the most important rule is?
J: Don’t drive when you’re drunk. Not a good idea.
L: No drinking when you’re too young.
What are you good at?
J: Making people laugh, basketball
L: Drawing, sketching, dancing, volleyball
What do you know how to do that you could teach me?
J: How to power off someones Chromebook when they’re not looking. If you press control, shift and qq it powers off. All your tabs close. It’s funny.
L: Dance moves. I could show you how to draw an animal.
What do you do when you feel sad?
J: I eat.
L: Go bawl in my room. Watch TV
What do you wish you could do that dad and I don’t allow?
J: Charge my phone in my room at night.
L: Have Snapchat
Was there a time this year when you wanted to give up, but did not?
J: Shooting hoops at the Campus with dad. I wanted to quit because I was doing terribly. I didn’t quit because dad would’ve been mad.
L: When I was trying to draw a husky without looking at a photo, and I was trying to draw the fur, and it just didn’t look good, but I kept going to see if I could fix it. It still didn’t end up good, but at least I tried. The eyes looked good. The fur was not on point.
Who is your celebrity crush?
J: Zendaya
L: Zac Efron, but one day my dad told me he got plastic surgery. His face was too wide. But his hair still looks beautiful and gorgeous. But he just looked so much better his old way. He’s still my crush, but if he ever does something to his hair, I’ll change to Tom Holland. He’s spicy.
What is your favorite outfit?
J: A hoodie and joggers. I like shoes.
L: Any graphic tee, over-sized. Black leggings, my hair up in a claw, with my Lululemon belt bag.
If you could give us all different names, what would they be?
J: Dad would be Bartholomew, Mom would be Gwinneth, I would be Simon, Lia would be Judith, and Winston would be Cornelius.
L: Dad would be Jake, Mom would be Bree, Jack would be Dickie, I would be Bailey, and Winston would be Rafael.

Comments