Skip to main content

2021 End of Year Interviews

Once again, here we are.  December 31.  2021, what can I say?  Much like every year, you were full of highs and lows.  You gave and you took.  You brought laughter, joy, tears, and strength.  You brought new memories, and gave us some we'd rather forget. Thanks for the last 365 days, here's to another 365 more.

Jack is 12 and in 6th Grade at Spring Creek.  We were nervous about the adjustment to middle school, but he has handled it like a champ.  He is playing basketball this winter, and learning more and more everyday about what it takes to really be dedicated to a sport.  Ryan and I love seeing his growth both on the court, but also as a young man.  Our biggest hope for him is that he continues to make good choices and is a light for others.  New for Jack this year, is a mouth full of braces, riding the bus for the first time, and one of his biggest wishes coming true, getting a dog!

Lia is 9 and in fourth grade at Willowbrook.  She continues to shine both in the classroom and on the stage.  She tried a new sport this fall, volleyball, and loved it.  We received clearance this year to start seeing her rheumatologist only once a year.  Her arthritis continues to be in remission, and we are off all medications for that.  Other than a rare flare-up, it has not caused her any trouble.  As far as cardiology goes, we have noticed her stamina start to decrease a bit, especially during dance competitions.  We are in talks with her cardiologist about this, and continue to monitor that leaky valve that we know will need replaced soon.  Lia makes us laugh almost every day.  She is spunky and quirky, and loves this about herself.  We hope she never loses that.

As for Ryan and I, we are doing well too.  I'm in my 10th year at Southeast Polk already, which means we've been back in Iowa for almost a decade now.  Hard to believe.  In my 15 years of teaching, I'm still learning everyday what it takes to be the most effective teacher I can be.  Ryan is still with Doll, in grocery sales.  He works hard to support us, and we love him for that.  When he's not busy with work, he's a wonderful dance dad, never missing a competition, and always running plays, and working on ball handling with Jack.

Now for the real reason you're reading this blog post, our end of year interview questions!  I love sitting down with the kids and doing this.  Even though I'm the one asking the questions, it is such good conversation between me and them.  I always learn something new about them, whether that new something is adorable, or cringe worthy, I'll leave that up to you!




What is something you did this year that you're proud of?

J: Making the Running Rams basketball team.

L:  I tried a new sport, I was nervous, but then I loved it.

What is currently your favorite food?

J:  That's a hard one.  Chicken wings that dad does on the smoker.

L:  Sushi, especially California Rolls

What do you worry about?

J:  Embarrassing myself, burglars, guns, Lia.

L:  Barfing.  There some other stuff too, getting kidnapped, getting lost in a store, or drowning.

If you were allowed to get a tattoo, what would you get?

J:  A cross for Jesus.

L:  A butterfly, because I like them.

What do you do when you feel bored?

J:  Play Play Station, unless I'm grounded, then I just eat.

L:  Watch TikTok

What do you enjoy doing for fun?

J:  Cuddling with Winston, going to a trampoline park, shooting hoops, traveling, or going to any sporting event.

L:  Dance or volleyball

Do you have a celebrity crush?

J:  Mom, no.  But who did Lia say?

L:  It's actually not Zac Efron anymore.  He's too old. It's Tom Holland now.  My favorite celebrity who isn't a crush is Zendaya.

How do you handle stress?

J:  I just try to ignore it.

L:  I cry.  That's it.  I don't really have a lot of stress, so I don't know.

Do you have a favorite movie?

J:  Cool Runnings

L:  Spider Man-No Way Home

Whats the most embarrassing thing dad or I does?

J:  When dad makes those weird bird sounds.

L:  When dad makes weird bird noises.

What would you like to learn how to do in 2022?

J:  Finish an alleyoop in NBA2K.

L:  An aerial.

What is your favorite thing we did as a family this year?

J:  Got a dog.

L:  In Mexico, that place where we ate Sushi.  That was good.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

J:  A pilot.

L:  A hairstylist and a celebrity.  Which probably will never happen because I'm not famous anywhere.  I only have 84 followers on TikTok right now.  An actress too.

Whats the best book you read this year?

J:  Hatchet

L:  From the Desk of Zoe Washington.  She's an independent woman, I want to be an independent woman someday too.  Except, I do want a husband at some point.

What is one word to describe you?

J:  Odd

L:  Funny

What do you think you'll be doing 10 years from now?

J: (age 22) I'll be a senior in college, hopefully in Iowa City.

L: (age 19) I'll be at college, I will be a famous actress and I'll be doing peoples hair for the shows we're making.

Whats the best thing about your sibling?

J:  Her dancing is good, even though I'm never really sure which one is her up there.  I mean, they don't ever get last place, right?

L:  He doesn't have his friends over all the time.

What is your first memory in life?

J:  I remember my bedroom in Wichita.  Grandpa Maury would color with me in there.

L:  Meeting Belle

What makes you laugh?

J:  Have you seen the Saturday Night Live about baby spanx?  The guy says "I'd never spank a baby, but I sure as hell would spanx a baby!"

L:  I have a lot of things, mostly Jack.  There's that part in Cool Runnings where the guy is dancing on a table, and he falls onto the floor.

Who inspires you?

J:  Donovan Mitchell, he's really good at basketball

L:  Zendaya.  She's a great actress, shes beautiful and she's very very kind.

Is there anything else you'd like to add or say about 2021?

J:  Wait, aren't you going to ask us the question where we get to give everyone a different name?

Me:  I can, if you want.

J:  As far as 2021, it was fun, we got a dog, he's the best dog.

L:  My favorite part of 2021 was when Winston happened.

Not part of my original question list, but apparently one they like to answer:

If you could give everyone in our family a different name, what would it be?

J:  Dad would be Daquarius, Mom would be Carol, I would be Lloyd, Lia would be Swanny, and Winston would be Mac.

L:  Dad would be Julien, Mom would be Lucille, Jack would be Fart Face, I would be Olivia, and Winston would be Raphael.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine. Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the ...

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...