Greetings!
First and foremost, my family is healthy and happy! Our already tight-knit foursome is even tighter. We have never spent as much time together as we did this year. Was it hard and frustrating at times? Yes, of course it was. We are human after all. But the movie nights, the make-your-own pizza nights, the game nights, the walks around the neighborhood, the road trips, the hikes, the home improvements, the basketball in the driveway, they were amazing. We've grown in areas I never knew we needed to grow in! My eyes are opened to new realizations, especially things I can let go of. Things I thought I had to have control over, but in reality, aren't important. I am thankful for that.
Jack is 11 and in his last year at Willowbrook with me. It will be strange not having him there next year. He is a good student, and a mostly good brother (wink wink). He's still quiet and reserved. He loves watching the Bears and the Hawkeyes. Most days you can find him shooting hoops in the driveway or playing on his PlayStation. He is quite the artist and loves to sketch. He longs for the day when we agree to let him get a dog.
Lia is still our silly girl. She is 8 and spends several days a week at the dance studio. It is her passion, and she works hard at it. She is a good friend to all, and a mostly good sister (wink wink). We continue to see her cardiologist once a year and rheumatologist twice a year. Year after year, she continues to receive good news in regards to her health. She is a social butterfly and loves school.
Those of you who have been around for a while know that I love doing these end of year interviews with the kids. Just today, I was looking back on their answers from previous years, and it flooded my mind with so many memories. Some of you have even started this tradition with your children. Their answers will bring me joy (or possibly make me cringe) for years to come.
2020 Interview: (I asked the kids these questions separately, so their answers wouldn't be swayed by each other. I wanted their honest responses.)
What is your favorite memory from this year?
Lia: Being with my family at Table Rock.
Jack: Vacation at Table Rock.
What is your worst memory from this year?
Lia: Hmmmm, probably not getting a birthday party.
Jack: Kobe Bryant dying.
Tell me about a time you showed kindness this year.
Lia: When Jack rode my hoverboard and I didn't tell on him.
Jack: I gave Lia $4 to clean my room.
What is a funny thing you remember from this year?
Lia: Playing Kids Against Maturity with my cousins.
Jack: When dad sings about Sky Joe.
How is life going for you?
Lia: Good, but sometimes its boring, or scary, or not the best. But I do have fun. I got good stuff in my stocking.
Jack: Good, but Covid isn't good. I love Christmas break.
What is one word to describe you?
Lia: Weird.
Jack: Weird and a little bit funny.
What are your favorite things to do?
Lia: Play with slime, spend time with my family, play with friends and eat food.
Jack: Shoot hoops and play games.
What do you love most about Jack?
Lia: He's funny and he plays with me sometimes.
What do you love most about Lia?
Jack: She's funny.
What do you think you'll be doing 10 years from now?
Lia: (age 18) Buying a dog, buying stuff at Target, but I'll pay for it.
Jack: (age 21) Working at HyVee and going to college at Iowa.
What makes a person good looking?
Lia: If they look like Zac Efron.
Jack: I don't know? Clothes?
Describe your perfect day:
Lia: I get 10,000 pieces of candy, I get a dog and name it Fluffy, I get presents, and I get to do my mom's makeup and she actually likes it.
Jack: We get a puppy, we teach the puppy how to swim. Then we go to Get Air, and have dinner at Bubba. I get some presents, and Lia goes over to someones house to play.
What is the best book you read in 2020?
Lia: Louisiana's Way Home
Jack: The Wild Robot Escapes
What is your favorite meal?
Lia: Bacon, pancakes, hash-browns and orange juice.
Jack: Chicken and waffles.
What do you know about Jesus?
Lia: Well, he was born with donkeys next to him. He died on the cross so I can go to Heaven.
Jack: He died on the cross, and then rose from the dead so we can go to Heaven.
What do you think you'll dream about tonight?
Lia: Why my mom makes me answer these questions.
Jack: Nothing.
If you had to give everyone in our family a new name, what would you name them?
Lia: Mom would be Melissa. Dad would be Justin. Jack would be Corey. I would be Olivia.
Jack: Mom would be Madison. Dad would be DeShawn. Lia would be Dakota. I would be Mason.
What made you smile this year?
Lia: When I got a special part in a dance.
Jack: When the Hawkeyes beat Wisconsin.
What bothers you?
Lia: When I have to sweep the floor after dinner. I like to wipe down the table.
Jack: When you say I can only have 1 hour of screen time.
If you could make up a new holiday what would it be?
Lia: 20 days of getting presents from your family.
Jack: Take a dog to school holiday.
What is something about you I might not know?
Lia: I roll around in bed a lot.
Jack: Sometimes I stay on my phone until midnight. 12:48 was the latest.
What makes you feel loved?
Lia: Cuddling with daddy when we watch movies.
Jack: Eating dinner together.
What are you thankful for?
Lia: My family and my friends and my teacher.
Jack: My family and my bed.
What scares you?
Lia: The movie Cats (still traumatized from last year)
Jack: Cody Parkey (only Bears fans will get this)
What are your goals for 2021?
Lia: To not leave my socks everywhere and to not hit Jack.
Jack: To not make so many weird noises.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Comments