Skip to main content

2019 End Of Year Interviews

The time of year has come again!  As I sat and talked with the kids during these interviews, I couldn't help but be reminded of what a wonderful year it was.  We had highs, lows, and everything in between.  We laughed, cried, worried, and perservered.  We celebrated, mourned, worshiped, and grew.  I cannot believe another year has come and gone.  As I'm typing this, I keep glancing across the room at the two children God has blessed me with.  I am so proud of who they are and what they are becoming.

Before I get into the interviews, I wanted to share with you a little about what 2019 brought for the Shields family.  

Lia wrapped up a great year in first grade, and is now halfway done with 2nd.  She is thriving.  We continue to see her rheumatologist and cardiologist regularly.  This year brought a change with a new cardiologist, which had us all a bit nervous, but unnecessarily, as Dr. Shivapour has been wonderful.  Lia started competition dance in addition to her regular dance classes, and has recently sparked an interest in basketball.  She makes us laugh daily, with her quick wit and humor.  Not a day goes by that I do not think about how lucky I am she is here.

Jack finished third grade, and is halfway through fourth grade now!  He and I were both nervous about being in the same grade together this year, but other than a few small road bumps, things have gone considerably well.  It is refreshing to hear him say how much he likes school.  He still is playing basketball and is about to begin a new season this week.  If you can't find him in the house, chances are, he's shooting hoops in the driveway.  He turned 10 in November, which gave me a lot of opportunity to reflect on a decade of parenting.  I think back to 25 year old Ashley, with a newborn, and how much he has taught me.  There is something  so special about your first born.  

Ryan and I celebrated 11 years of marriage in August.  He is still working with Doll, and loving it.  I never would've thought he'd do so well in a sales position, but he's rocking it. I am in my 13th year of teaching.  I pray daily about the highs and lows the classroom brings, and the changes in education I've seen over the years.  If we're being honest, I'm feeling a bit of a burnout recently, but trust that God has a plan for me!

We took a family vacation to Chicago this summer where we enjoyed a Cubs game, Willis Tower, Navy Pier, Soldier Field, American Girl, and time with the O'Connor family.  Also, we took the kids out of the country for the first time, and traveled with Ryan's entire family to Punta Cana.  So many precious memories were made, with the Caribbean as the background.  We love to travel, and are looking forward to many new travel experiences in 2020.

Well, if you have made it this far, thank you!  Without further delay, I give you our 2019 kid interviews!




What do you want to be when you grow up?
J: Playing in the NBA for the Celtics
L:  A PE teacher

What is your favorite toy right now?
J: Nintendo Switch
L:  My baby dolls

If you could change your name, what would you change it to?
J:  Jackson
L: Lilly

What is the best book you read this year?
J:  Moving Target
L:  Charlotte's Web

What was your favorite family event this year?
J:  Drinking pina coladas in the Dominican
L:  Christmas at Grandma Sue's

What is something you worry about?
J:  Natural disasters, especially tornadoes.
L:  Sometimes I worry about friends not being my friends.  Also, you know those cats in the movie Cats?  I worry about them getting into our house. 
(Disclaimer: Lia has recently been traumatized by the Cats movie trailer)

Who inspires you?  Why?
J:  Mom and Dad, because they are nice to me.
L:  Mom and Dad because they tell me to keep trying.

What is your most favorite and least favorite food?
J:  Most favorite is sugar cookies. Least favorite is mayo.
L:  Most favorite is corn, pizza, grapes and watermelon. Least favorite is lasagna or ravioli.

What qualities about yourself do you admire?
J:  I'm tall, I'm nice, and I'm a good friend.
L:  I'm kind and I include people.

What is your favorite restaurant?  Why?
J:  Monterrey, I love the enchiladas.
L:  Grumpy Goat, because I like the name of it.

What is a moment from this year that you never want to forget?
J:  I went out of America for the first time. Also, I didn't throw up once this year.
L:  When I first did arrays in math, they were really hard.  I was bad at them, but I got good at them.  I felt proud.

What is something nice you did for someone this year?
J:  I let someone use my pencil.
L:  I asked someone if they wanted to play with me.

What is something you wonder about?
J:  I wonder how to communicate with dogs.  I wish I could talk to them.
L:  I wonder why they would want to make those cats talk, and put fur like that on famous people to make them look like cats. (again, the trauma)

Where was your favorite place to visit this year?
J:  The beach, in the Dominican Republic
L:  American Girl to get my doll's hair done.

Where is somewhere you want to visit in the future?
J:  Mexico
L:  New York

Is there anyone you miss?
J:  Miss Werner
L:  Kenzley

Is there anything you want to learn how to do in 2020?
J:  How to do a cartwheel
L:  How to shoot a basketball.

Any other goals you'd like to mention for 2020?
J:  I want to eat healthier, except for Gushers.
L:  I want to read more chapter books by myself.


HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine. Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the ...

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...