Skip to main content

2018: The Year In Review

Well, 2018 has come to an end, and what a year it was for the Shields family!  We experienced loss and welcomed two new family members.  We traveled, we celebrated birthdays, we danced in recitals and played basketball.  Enjoy this look back at our year:

January:  We kicked off the year with another basketball season for Jack at the Altoona Campus.  He was on a team with several of his friends this year and is excited for another season to begin soon.  He had quite the cheering section for his games!

After one of Jack's games.


February:  We were given another great report on Lia's heart condition.  She passed her echo and EKG with flying colors and was given another year's clearance.  We also found out it would be the last time we would be seen by Dr. Lozier.  He has taken a job in Cleveland at Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital.  While we are going to miss him, we have been reassured that our new cardiologist, Dr. Shivapour (who came from Cleveland) is wonderful.  We are looking forward to meeting her soon.  A heart valve replacement will be next on Lia's list of heart surgeries. We continue to pray that her heart can hold out a few years longer.  God is good though and all things are perfect in His timing, so we continue to put all our faith in Him. (Don't believe me?  Read all blog posts from spring of 2012 😉)
She is my strength.

We will miss you, Dr. Lozier!
We also enjoyed a special visit from Aunt Hilary in February which included a girls night out!
Hilary & Lia


March: March was a great month.  I am happy to report that no one received a bloody nose from having cabbage thrown at them!  Miss Lia turned 6 years old and we spent a week traveling in Texas!  We toured AT&T Stadium in Dallas, did some shopping at Magnolia Market in Waco, and took in a Spurs game and the Riverwalk in San Antonio.  On our way home, we stayed a night in Wichita.  The first time we had been back since we moved in 2012.  I visited Linwood Elementary (location of my first teaching job) and had a wonderful time catching up with my former first grade teammates.

Sitting on center field

The Alamo.  I may have cried. 
San Antonio Riverwalk Boat Tour


You must visit this place!   
Happy 6th Birthday, sweet girl!




April:  April was a rough month, as my Grandma B. went to her eternal home.  Although we miss her here on earth dearly, we know she is with Jesus and pain free. 
This photo was taken just a few days before she passed.  I will cherish it forever.



April also marked another year of walking in the Greater Des Moines Heart Walk! We had so much support from family and friends this year.  It was my dad's first year walking as a survivor with Lia.  I am happy to report that he continues to do well after his heart attack in November of '17.



Survivors Photo





I hope you'll consider joining us this spring as we walk to find a cure for heart disease and stroke.



May:  In May, we celebrated my 34th birthday, and a kindergarten graduation!
Kindergarten Graduation
Also in May, I participated with my school in our first ever Girls On The Run!  I partnered up with a girl from my class, Sadie, and I must say, we rocked our 5k together!

Sadie and Mia were both students in my class.  Lia was our cheerleader!


June: June brought Ryan's 37th birthday and Lia's 3rd recital with Pat Barton Dance Studio!
Dance is her jam.

Ry's 37th at Iowa Tap Room



July: July was an amazing month as we loaded up the car again and headed for Colorado.  We climbed Horse Tooth in Ft. Collins, toured Rocky Mountain National Park in Estes Park, saw the Red Rocks outside of Denver, and toured Mile High Stadium where we got to sit in John Elway's suite!  The kids loved the mountains so much we are hoping to go again soon.







August:  Busy month for the Shields family! August marked 10 years of marriage for Ryan and I.  We celebrated in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, with our amazing friends, Sam and Kelcie.  We were spoiled rotten on this anniversary trip and cannot wait to go back to gorgeous Cabo someday.




August also brought another year of wonderful memories at the Iowa State Fair.  Lia performed with her dance studio again this year, and we loved watching her on the Bill Reilly stage!


State Fair Fun!

August brought the beginning of yet another school year.  I am still teaching fourth grade for the Southeast Polk school district.  Jack started third grade and Lia started first!  I know I say this every year, but I am so thankful to be working in the same school they attend.  Next year, Jack will be in the same grade I teach! How can that be?



September:  September is such a fun month!  Football starts!  Lia attended her first Iowa game at Kinnick Stadium this year!  We went to the Iowa/UNI game with the kids, so of course I had to rock some purple and gold along with my black and gold.  We loved waving to the Children's hospital after the first quarter.

September ended a bit rough for Jack as he took a golf club to the eye accidentally by his little sister.  His glasses were crushed and ended up with 8 stitches in his eyebrow.  His scar is healing nicely and he has a good story to tell for anyone who asks.


He was such a trooper!

September ended with Lia being asked to join the competition team with Pat Barton Dance Studio!  She excitedly signed her contract and began practice soon after.  She will be traveling to Davenport, Kansas City, Ames and Des Moines for competitions this spring.  I really don't know what we've gotten ourselves into with this whole competition dance, but am so excited to do this with her.  She truly loves dance.

October: Yay for babies!  Both my sister AND brother welcomed new babies to the world this month!  Jameson and Alex welcomed Holden James on October 4th, and Brent and Morgan welcomed Kellen Ashley on October 30th.  To say it's been a fun few months with two new babies in the family is an understatement.



November:  My baby boy turned 9 years old!  He had a 'dog' themed party. He wants a dog SO BAD.  We are not getting a dog any time soon, so we settled with letting him invite some dogs to his party.  Yes, you read that right, his guests were dogs.  My brother brought his dog, Lola, my parents brought their dog, Bella, and our wonderful neighbor, Jen, brought her dog, Copper.  A 'dog gone good time' was had by all! (see what I did there?)


December:  December always goes so quickly, doesn't it?  We had a wonderful Christmas season with our amazing family.  I love teaching my children about the true meaning of Christmas and what it actually meant for God to send his son to earth.  We enjoyed teaching some of Jack and Lia's Sunday school classes this month, sharing this joy with other kids too.  We are so blessed to attend Valley Church in West Des Moines. 

Before Christmas Eve service
I hope this blog post finds you well.  We have some exciting things planned for 2019 and can't wait to see what the next year brings us!  Stay tuned for Jack and Lia's New Years interviews coming soon!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine. Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the ...

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...