Skip to main content

State Fair/1st Day of Kindergarten!!

We spent a fun filled afternoon at the Iowa State Fair last week and had a blast!  This is our 3rd year taking the kids, and it's so much fun to see their eyes light up with all there is to take in.  From the animals, to the food, to the rides, the state fair is always great family-friendly fun!


We ride the Dart Bus from SEP High School.  The kids think this is so cool.  

It was bigger than his head

Root Beer Float

Go Panthers! We always get a new UNI shirt at the fair.

Go Hawkeyes! 
Jack thinks Grandpa Maury needs one of these!

Ice cream for everyone!
Feeling guilty about his donut/icecream sundae!
Jack and I before our trip down the Big Slide! Lia was too nervous to go, and then when she was feeling brave enough, they closed the slide due to some light rain--so no slide for her this year.

Butter Cow!

 After the fair, I spent some long hours preparing my classroom for another year of learning! My parents came to help unpack boxes, put up bulletin boards, label items, and rearrange furniture!  So thankful for their help!  And so thankful to Ryan for keeping the kids home so we could work efficiently.

I now have one week down and can already tell that I have another great group of fourth graders!  I'm excited for a fun school year.  Tired, but excited.
My awesome helpers!

I am the only person who stayed from last years fourth grade team!  We had a retirement, and Lexi transferred to a different school, so now I'm teaching with Kelcie (who moved to fourth from first) and Sam, who is brand new to Willowbrook!  I can already tell it's going to be a great year!  They both have so much to offer and are wonderful to work with.
And then, it came time to prepare Jack for his first day of kindergarten!  He will continue to go to Willowbrook with me and has a wonderful teacher, Mrs. Moorburg.  He is LOVING kindergarten and has lots to tell us each night.  Aside from being exhausted, and adjusting to life at school all day, he is doing great.  He loves having PE, getting to eat school lunch, and is so excited that he is going to learn to read!

The night before the first day of school, we sprinkled 'ready confetti' under Jack's pillow.  It was a gift from Mrs. Moorburg to help him get lots of sleep so he's all ready for kindergarten in the morning!

And there he is.  My sweet boy!  Not going to lie, I was pretty much a hot mess all morning.  Cried from about 6 am to 9 am.  Kindergarten is very bittersweet.  Lots of different emotions that morning.

Seemed appropriate :)

Lia sure is going to miss her big brother being at daycare with her.  Even though he was only there half days for the past two years, she was very sad.  Had a few tears from her at drop off this week.
Speaking of Lia, she is anxiously awaitng her turn to start 3 year old pre-k.  She starts the Tuesday after Labor Day.  She will be in Miss Noelia's room at Willowbrook, which is the same teacher Jack had for pre-k also.  We had her home visit this week, which was very fun.  Ryan and I are both so excited to watch her grow and thrive in a school setting!
Pre-K Home Visit
Stay tuned for pictures from Lia's first day of pre-k!

Comments

Pam the Realtor said…
Can't believe how big your kids are getting!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine. Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the ...

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...