Skip to main content

Family Science Night & Arthritis Update

We had a great time at the Little Rams Preschool Family Science Night a couple weeks ago.  Educational family fun is always a good time in my book!  Jack and Lia loved all the different experiments they could do, animals to see and touch, and lots more things to explore!  We have loved our experience with Little Rams, and even though Jack is going on to kindergarten next year, we already have Lia enrolled to start as a Little Ram in the fall.

We also met with our new rheumatologist last week. We are no longer going to St. Paul, due to insurance reasons, and are now seeing someone at the U of I Hospitals in Iowa City.  I am excited about the shorter drive, but wasn't excited to meet yet another doctor and have everything transferred from one hospital to the next....but it went really well, and we like the new doctor.  Our appointment didn't render the news we were hoping though.  We found out that Lia still has active arthritis in both of her knees and some in the top of her left foot.  We are starting a new medication, methotrexane, given through weekly injections.  The injections come with lots of twists...labs (in Des Moines) every 4 weeks to check liver function and other organs, careful watch over spiking a fever (trip to ER if it goes higher than 100.4), and no more 'live' vaccinations until she is off the medication.  We did not do a steroid injection this time, but may consider one when we go back in July, depending on results of methotrexane.  In addition to the new medication, we are starting physical therapy on her calf muscle.  Due to all the limping she did earlier this fall, one of her calves is much smaller than the other, SO, now we add physical therapist to our inner circle.  YAY! (note sarcasm).

We gave our first injection last week, and will do another one on Saturday.  My mom came over and watched me do the first one to make sure I was doing it correctly, and for moral support too!  Lia of course hated it, but she took it like a champ.  She's pretty used to being poked and prodded.

Our new rheumatologist gave us the option of doing warm baths every morning or rice pouches to wake up Lia's joints before she starts her day. The way mornings are around here--we opted for the rice pouches.  Grandma Sue whipped some that strap around the front and back of Lia's knees, and also for her ankles.  We couldn't leave Jack out, so he's the proud owner of some new rice pouches too.  These things are great.  You heat them in the microwave, strap 'em on, and it's like an instant heating pad.

I'm also including some new pictures of my new cousin, Arbor!  Born 7 weeks early, she finally got to go home this past week. She's adorable.  Dan and Ashley are wonderful parents.  She's a great new addition to our family.

Enjoy the pictures!

Checking out some skin cells

Enjoying some kinetic sand!

I can't remember what they were making here--some sort of play doh you can also use in the bath tub!

Labs.  Boo.


New rheumatologist--Dr. Hong

After the appointment, I asked Lia to show me her 'brave' face.  This is what I got.

We got some front row seats for all the construction being done on the new children's hospital!  This was Jack's favorite part of the trip.

This is me giving my first injection.  I did it.  I hated it, but I did it.  And I (we) get to do it every Saturday for the next two years. Whaaaaaaaa.
Rice Pouches!
Ryan and Arbor--she's seriously the cutest!

Comments

Pam the Realtor said…
For all that little Lia has been thru, she sure always has a super smile on her face!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine. Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the ...

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...