Skip to main content

Jack is 5! Knee news!

This blog is long overdue.  I'm finally sitting down to tell you about Jack's 5th birthday, and our most recent trip to Minnesota for an appointment with Lia's rheumatologist!

Jack (I can hardly believe that he's 5) had a '50 States' themed birthday party.  He has loved the states since he was 2, and knows all 50 states, their capitals, and their location.  So, it was fitting that we did a states birthday party!  Enjoy the pictures!
Cake!

5 whole dollars from Grandma Sue and Grandpa Jeff!

Blowing out his candles!  He strategically picked which five states got a candle in them.

I think he's a little excited about this puzzle from our neighbors, Jen and Joe!

Our states-themed food:  Washington Apples and dip, New York bagels and dip, Arizona chips and salsa, and Wisconsin cheese dip!

Lucky for me, many of the items that you find in a 4th grade classroom were also able to be used as party decorations, like this map!

Our states-garland that adorned all the windows in our kitchen/living room. 

While we were in Fairbank over Thanksgiving, we had another party with Grandpa Maury and Grandma Diane!  Aunt Jill came through yet again with a fabulous Ninja Turtle cake for Jack!



In Lia news:  We traveled to Burnsville, MN again the first part of the month.  My mom came with us this time so we could get some Christmas shopping done while we were there.  The trip started off a bit rough (let's just say there was puke involved) but the news we got from Dr. Akin made it all better!  Dr. Akin did confirm that Lia DOES have rheumatoid arthritis in both knees.  The injections she had in October seem to have take care of almost the entire mass behind her left patella.  With the great results from the injections, it has been decided that we will continue to treat her arthritis with the injections.  We will not schedule them, but will wait until we see more swelling again, or she begins to limp again.  Ryan and I are so thankful for this outcome, and happy that we don't need to do anything more invasive at this time.

Jack and Grandma at our hotel.  

height check!

Blood pressure!

Look at those skinny knees!  So happy!



I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday season!  Remember the true reason for the season, and enjoy time with your family and friends!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas List

Well....my mom and sister and other various family members have started asking what Ryan and I want for Christmas this year....so I began thinking, and here is my Christmas list thus far: *Dance Dance Revolution for Wii (Don't laugh, it's actually really fun) *Dancing With the Stars for Wii *Waffle Maker *good quality chef's knife *fun dress socks to wear to work *black boots with pointed toe *brown boots with pointed toe *Dressy winter coat *Wall Flower refills (for home and school) Ryan and I aren't shopping for each other this year since we are honeymooning over New Years. We are going to Las Vegas, and I can't wait!

9 1/2 Hours

9 1/2 hours until my sweet baby girl goes in for her third open heart surgery.  This isn't just any surgery.  It's a big one.  This surgery would be a big deal for a 40 year old.  So you can imagine the seriousness and high risk on a 3 week old.  I am nauseous and scared.  I pray with all my heart that her little body can handle the intensity and recovery involved with something this big.  The nurses have prepared us for the worst, which I am thankful for, but am remaining optimistic and strong in faith.  They have told me that she will be VERY sick for several days following her surgery.  She may even come back to her room in the PICU still on bypass.  Even if she doesn't come back on bypass, she could still go back on it a few days later.  In addition to all her machines and medicines now, she will also come back with a pacemaker, and possibly the ECMO (bypass) machine. Lia opened her eyes today, and looked around the ...

Praising God!!!

Lia has had a REALLY good 24 hours! She passed her carseat test! Has taken ALL her feedings orally! Feeding tube is OUT! Breathing treatments have been cancelled! Ryan and I have started a 24 hr PCS (parent care status) where we are completely in charge of all feedings and medications.  The nurse will only check on us periodically. This is done to make sure we will be able to handle everything at home. NO MONITORS!  I just walked into our bathroom with Lia...simply because I COULD! Pharmacy has come to talk to us about all her prescriptions, and how to administer all medications. Got a basket ready for all the 'skimming' supplies I'll need for home. Arrangements have been made for follow up care with cardiologist and pediatrician! Discharge, yes, I said it, DISCHARGE scheduled for Tuesday!  Ok, I'm crying now that I just typed that! Once again, thank you for all your continued support and prayer!  Don't we have an amazing God? These oral feedings r...